Anybody know what breed Bun is?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennJenn

Reaction score
I got him from a Farmer's Market last September. He weighs about7 pounds. I was told by the vet that he is an English Spot but I know that can't beright. He does have 1/2 a line down his back though.

Here are some pictures of the beautiful man!

cid__0315092201a.jpg

cid__0315092201.jpg

cid__0315092226a.jpg

He has a couple spots on his sides. His markings are brown and black, not a solid color.

He could very easily be an English Spot Mismark. From what I understand they happen pretty often- charlies in the nest-box, as well as some solids.

Then again he could be a mutt as well. It's a gamble you take when buying/adopting pet bunnies.

In any case, he's a cutie.

EDIT: Looking back at the pictures, it doesn't look like he's got the body of a Spot... So i dunno. Maybe a Spot. Maybe not.

Do you have any photos of a side view?

Many breeds have the "English Spotting" color,and some English Spots may actually have no spots. From your photo, your rabbit doesn't look like an English Spot.

Most veterinarians are unable to identify specific rabbit breeds.

Pam

I don't think he is an English spot, he look a lot like a mini rex from the face shots...does he have really soft fur? In your intro post, I though, what a beautiful Mini Rex.;-)

He does have very soft shortfur but it isn't as velvety as a mini rex. I'm guessing he is a mutt of some kind, maybe mini rex and an english spot.

He only has3 spots. He has one on both sides by his backlegs and the other one is below the line on his back so it makes an exclamation point! He is sitting so you can't see it in the picture.

I have Mini Rex marked very similar with the line down it's back... (no English spot in them!)just the way the broken markings come out. But it is entirely possibleBun Bunis a Mini Rex mix...

My first question is How big is your bunny? Thought we'd rescued an English spot from the shelter. She kept growing and now weighs in at sixteen pounds. After some more research, found out that she's a Checkered Giant. Don't really care about the breed, just like to give our Buns a lot of love.

He looks like the Heinz 57/mixed breed buns wesometimes see around here. Were they being sold as pets or as livestock? The ones I've seen more often come from a meat breeder, either directly or when he sold babies to pet stores. A good number of meat breeders around here seem to have mixed breed, 6-8 lb, often spotted rabbits instead of purebreds like New Zealands unless they have kids in 4H.

Purebred English Spots are pretty uncommon, but many breeds can have spots just like them such as both rex breeds, lops, Polish, etc.

I love his face markings!

He was being sold as a pet but I'm sure the man who had him really didn't care what happened to him or his siblings. I will just call him a mutt! :biggrin2:

Reading about the bunnies who we don't know their background - I came across a DNA testing kit for dogs in one of my catalogs... from a saliva sample (I think... I could be wrong... haven't had tea yet this AM), they can tell you what percentage of what breed of dog is in your mixed breed dog.

Now, if they could develop a kit like that for bunnies...

Bun is :adorable:!

Denise

Yes I saw that too! It's so cool that they can figure that out. It would be great if they had one for rabbits!

Back