Anybody else having problems with Oxbow essentials adult rabbit pellets lately

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redblurb

Reaction score
Is anybody else having problems with Oxbow essentials adult rabbit pellets ? Lately, I have found pieces of clay and sand in the bags. I have used this brand for many years; and I can't say that I have had any real issues with it. Now, when I try to feed my little buns, they go and smell it and then turn up their noses at it. They refuse to eat it until they are extremely hungry.

When I squish their poop between my fingers, at first they are very hard, after they have broken down, they turn to a fine paper/cardboard-like substance, and it breaks down into a powder. The bunnies poop has also become very hard, until it has had a chance to start breaking down.
Since this problem with the pellets began, I have lost one bunny. I don't know if it's related, it's quite coincidental though.
Also, I noticed that molasses is in the ingredients. I have looked online and have read in several places that molasses should never be given to rabbits. So, why do they put it in the pellets?

I haven't bought a bag for over a year since I've stopped feeding pellets, but from the rest that we still have I haven't noticed clay or sand, that is quite odd.

I think they use it as something to bind the pellets together. They also have a bunch of other not-so-great ingredients in there like soy and whatnot too :c

Latest posts

Back