Any vets/vet students on?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaben

Reaction score
So I'm deployed and we have a cat. She cut herself or another cat got a hold of her. She has about a one inch scratch on her right hip and it has caused severe inflammation in about a 24 hour period. She's about four months old and maybe twoish pounds? Me and the PA have been racking our brains and googeling what we can do for her. Most of the meds we have are people sized. What can we giver her for pain and or infection? Taking her to a vet isnt an option at this point. We aren't even supposed to have her.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any human NSAIDS that are safe for cats. Only Metacam and Onsior are licensed for cats in the US and I don't know of any others that are cat-safe. Cats are not small dogs and they're definitely not small people so you have to be really careful in choosing drugs for them.

There are definitely human antibiotics that are safe for cats, but I can't suggest one off the top of my head. Is there a vet you can call and consult with?

Apparently meloxicam also exists for humans (called Mobic instead of the veterinary meloxicam)
The dose on the metacam package is as follows:
"Cats: Administer a single, one-time subcutaneous dose of Metacam 5 mg/mL Solution for Injection to
cats at a dose of 0.14 mg/lb (0.3 mg/kg) body weight. Use of additional meloxicam or other NSAIDs is
contraindicated. (See Contraindications). To ensure accuracy of dosing, the use of a 1 mL graduated
syringe is recommended."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Animal...edAnimalDrugProducts/DrugLabels/UCM050397.pdf

However in the 7th edition of Plumb's veterinary drug handbook, there are additional dosages that have been used in cats (mostly because until the recent release of onsior, there were no other options). Those doses are between 0.1 and 0.2 mg/kg orally once a day.

Of course, I'll mention that use of meloxicam extra-labelly in animals without the supervision of a veterinarain with an established VCPR (veterinary client patient relationship) is illegal.

I thought about metacam but all we have are 7.5 and 15 pills. We do have dexamethasone but it'll be like a 10th of a cc.

Turns out it's a he, needs wormer BADLY, and they found him emaciated and have been feeding him tuna and vienna sausages to fatten him up. *smacks head*

I gave them bacitracin for the wound, gave 10 CC's sub Q, and informed them to start writing home for actual cat food.

There is a vet clinic we pass a lot that I'll see if I cant get a number for but taking the kitty there is the problem.

Latest posts

Back