Any Problems With Broccoli, Cauliflower or Cabbage here?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I'm really wondering about the constant cautions against broccoli and cauliflower (and other brassicaceous vegetables like cabbage, kale and Brussels sprouts) causing gas.

Who feeds their buns these veggies, and who hasn't had problems, and who has?

Any problems with other veggies?

On a relatedsubject, what veggies give your bunny poopy butt?

sas :?

I can't give any of these veggies to my bun - they cause gas and other g.i. problems for her.

Maybe now she could tolerate some broccoli leaves, but I'd rather not take a chance on it, after having a scary episode (early stages of stasis) several months back.

My understanding of the warningss on these veggies is that many buns can't tolerate them - and that some can - but that you have to be cautious with them.

Milly can have small amounts of spring greens and cucumber.

Parsley gave him a poopy butt.

Kale gave him major gas.

My daughter feed him apple, which I did'nt know about which gave him gas too. He is ok with a small amount of bananna.

I'm going to try him on curly and round lettuce in the next few days, to see if he can tolerate them.

He has been very smelly the last few days which I was thinking was his scent glands, eventhough they been cleaned often recently. Now I'm tending to think it was smelly gas.

I don't think Milly will be able to have veg on a daily basis, not yet anyway.

The only bunnies that get those three are the lops. Sweep can tolerate anything and everything. Sunshine get diarrhoea from cabbage and cauliflower, but can tolerate broccoli. Also, the tiniest bit of brussel sprout also gives him diarrhoea, so we stay well away from all of those that do that.

Ruby and Millie get kale andbroccoli quite often (as they love them;)) and have never had any problems with them. I think this may be due to the fact that I have fed them all different types of greens and veggies from when they were young and I always feed more greens than pelletsin their diet so their stomachs are used to them.

They also don't never get poopy butt, although I put this down to their pellets more than anything, because since I started feeding them'science selective' they never haveexcess soft poops.

Domino is fine with absolutely everything I havegiven him, as the breeder I got him from fed him veggies right from a tiny baby, however I'm nervous to try those ones with tilly - she only gets a littl bit of carrot twice a week at the moment.

Misty is really prone to gas, so she's not a great example, but I was feeding Cookie Rapini - which is in the same family as Brocolli and that gave him major gas, so no more rappini or brocolli/cabbages in out house.

Misty can't tolerate Curley Parsley at all - she gets major major gas with that.

On the other hand, all my guys LOVE brussel sprouts and have no issues with them whatsoever.

Pipp wrote:
I'm really wondering about the constant cautions against broccoli and cauliflower (and other brassicaceous vegetables like cabbage, kale and Brussels sprouts) causing gas.

some bunnies have problems, some dont. i fed tabby small pieces of broccoli and he was fine. if you feed small amounts there is not usually problems but some rabbits are sensitive so it really just depends.

there are not really any certain veggies that give poopy butt. the way a rabbit gets it is if there is way to much veggies in their diet. or they just get too many treats in general. so based upon a rabbits body weight will tell you about how much veggies/treats they wil get a day. i will try to find a conversion chart.

Mine get kale and broccoli a lot and all are fine. Boo got a GI bout and i wasn't sure if it was the broccoli she won't eat it now so is likely, but with all my buns its the first time i have seen it and i have fed it for 7 years since i first got rabbits. There were other issues with Boo as well though so i am still not sure.

I feed mine broccoli, cauli and kale all together and I have never had an issue. In fact, I have never had gas problems with an of my bunnies (touch wood for the future). I also feed brussel sprouts but only Starsky seems to love them, the others aren't fussed by them at all.

Maybe some breeds handle them better than others?

ani-lover wrote:
fruits and veggies
2-4 LB of body weight 1/8 cup daily
5-7 LB of body weight 1/4 cup daily
8-10 LB of body weight 1/2 cup daily
11-15 LB of body weight 3/4 cup daily

treats
1 tablespoon per 4 lbs. of body weight.

source: http://www.stluciaanimals.org/rabbit.php

You posted that information wrong. The measurements you gave are for Pellets, not Fruits and vegetables.

This is what the site says for vegetables:

"A minimum of 1 heaping cup of fresh food per 5 pounds of body weight should be given daily. Fresh food provides the high amount of fiber needed for good digestive tract function, but it is low in many nutrients. Rabbits must therefore have hay and, possibly, pellets as well as greens in the diet! You may give up to 4 cups/5 lbs. daily only if your pet is eating hay in addition to the greens. Try to feed at least 3 different types of greens daily. Feeding just one type of green food may lead to nutrient imbalances."

;)

ani-lover wrote:
Pipp wrote:

some bunnies have problems, some dont. i fed tabby small pieces of broccoli and he was fine. if you feed small amounts there is not usually problems but some rabbits are sensitive so it really just depends.

there are not really any certain veggies that give poopy butt. the way a rabbit gets it is if there is way to much veggies in their diet. or they just get too many treats in general. so based upon a rabbits body weight will tell you about how much veggies/treats they wil get a day. i will try to find a conversion chart.

Sorry ani - this is also not true. There are certain vegetables and treats that some rabbits are prone to getting poopy butt. Cookie cannot have tomato or he gets diarreah. I know that ffrom experimentation... I've found that it is a per-bunny thing.

I've also not found any thing on the net or in my reading that has said too much vegetables will give a rabbit poopy butt - I think too much will give them a poopy butt if they are not used to that vegetable or too young, but such a generalized statement is not exactly true I think.

A 5lb rabbit can get up to 4 cups of veggies per day - that A LOT of vegetables. Even with a small piece of tomato Cookie gets diarreah.

Nadia

wow! honey pot i guess since i was reading veggies i wrote it instead of pellets. duh!

also cookie having poopy butt due to tomato does not make it a certain veggie causing poopy butt. tabby gets tomatoes and he is perfectly fine. the whole poopy butt thing is if a rabbit has too many veggies and treats in their diet. it depends on the bun with the poopy butt thing there is no real list of what veggies cause poopy butt.

sorry if the whole poopy butt thing sounds rude but it is the truth. i am going into my notes and web pages to find it.

sorry about the table error.:):headflick:

None of my girls have problems with any vegetable.:)

Maddie has been getting a bowl of vegetables daily for a few months now, she's 5 months old now, and not a problem (I don't agree with waiting until they are six months before introducing vegetables.) I waited a little while before she had cabbage, but she handled it fine, and it is now her very favourite. She also eats parsley and celery well, but she's fussy about most other things. Except fruit, she loves her fruit.

Pebble and Ebony get at least twice as many veggies as pellets - they prefer them by far and I feel it is better for them. Never had one problem with gas. Cabbage is their favourite too, they go nuts for it. I have given them broccoli before too but they weren't fond of it.

Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe it is because they were all introduced to vegetables young, butI have never had a problem with gas, GI issues etc with any rabbit I have owned. They never get poopy butt.:biggrin2:

None of my rabbits are sensitive to any foods except pellets, which in NZ contain way too much protein. Althought it might make a difference that the places I have got them from have all fed fresh grass and greens to the babies since they could eat, not sure if that makes a difference.

I've been learning for two years with my two bunnies, and one of the first mistakes I made was giving them raw broccoli. One did fine with it, but his brother got a little gassy, I think, because his poops became smaller. Luckily-- I noticed the issue immediately, and took that out of their diet, and no harm was done.

Nowadays, I stick mainly to parsley and a light summer salad mix I grow in my garden, which includes arugula and a variety of radicchio.

Definitely the key is to introduce new foods in very small amounts, and watch your bunnies' reactions very closely. Plus, I'm always looking for and reading the latest list of toxic and questionable plants and vegetables.

Gordon

When feeding broccoli, do you feed the heads or the leaves? I just found out that my local fresh fruit/veggies place has the broccoli leaves (with small heads on them), but I wanted to check here before I gave them to Georgie.

Thanks!
Annie and Georgie

Rabbits can eat both the head and leaves of broccoli. Actually, sometimes broccoli leaves are sold separate and called rappini. I've fed this before.

I regularly feed collard greens and kale (same species as cabbage), and I sometimes feed broccoli, rappini, and cabbage. I haven't tried cauliflower yet. Mocha had a minor issue from rappini once but hasn't had issues the other times I've tried. Other than that, no problems from these or any other veggies. Any gas problems in this house seem to be unrelated to food. Fey and Sprite are sensitive to pellets and alfalfa, but that's soft poops and runny cecals, not gas.

Back