Any other bunnies with splayed legs out there??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnoccibun

Reaction score
My little Gnocci has splayed legs, mainly her front right leg and depending on the surface she is on, her back legs tend to splay too. Are there any other bunnies out there with this condition?? Would love to hear about them and see some pictures!

Nice looking bunny! The three bunnies I've had like to lay on their stomach. I've never seen them or maybe never noticed them splay their front feet, but they certainly like to extend their hind feet backwards. If they lay like this, I don't think it's a problem...they just look like they are comfy.

As for the feet, if they stand up, hop around, with no signs of paralysis or lack of leg control, I'd think there is no problem. However, if your bunny acts like having paralysis or slightly paralysis of the legs when it starts to hop around, this is a very serious condition , IMO.

In the final stages of gastro-intestinal statis (GI Statis), as their body shuts down, they will develop paralysis of the limbs. Google GI Statis for rabbits. It's when their primary stomach becomes clogged, the bacteria in the Cecum die, and the bunny too will die. This situation is triggered by bunnies with elongated teeth, impacted teeth......usually associated with age. My understanding is that when they reach body shutdown, there's nothing to save them.

She has been diagnosed with a splayed front right leg by a rabbit savy vet. Most likely a result of her being inbred. She is slowly figuring out how to move with her splayed leg and she is just so cute and is very happy. She does spend a lot of time on her tummy but it is causing no issues. They can learn to live happily with a splayed leg as a human can learn to live happily without a limb.

Latest posts

Back