any ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylormarie124

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 3 year old mini lop rabbit. She’s healthy and spayed and has never really had any health problems. Over the last few weeks I’ve been finding small brown dots or circles of a black substance - liquidy but also hardens if that makes sense. She also has been having a mess on her tail/bum area.
I’ll try to attach pictures to see if that helps.
Nothing has changed - she’s been eating fine, pooping regularly, and has generally been herself. I’m just wondering if anyone has seen this or has any idea what it could be? I’m going to call the vet tomorrow as well but thought I’d try here too.
I took her off of her pellets over the weekend and that seemed to help for a few days. I didn’t see it at all - and then today when I got back from work I saw some spots again. I did give her some pellets in the morning but not a lot by any means (like maybe 10-12 pellets)

Attachments

• FEDC6619-E700-4986-8FAD-10E818F6256A.jpeg
    FEDC6619-E700-4986-8FAD-10E818F6256A.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 96B197E3-BF62-4156-AC31-CC5C07FA1C37.jpeg
    96B197E3-BF62-4156-AC31-CC5C07FA1C37.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 16
I'm not sure about the liquid-y stuff... though it seems kinda dark to be urine, it's not outside the realm of possibility, I don't think. The other picture looks like it could be a partially-smushed cecotrope. Given that taking away pellets completely solved the problem, she may just be particularly sensitive to them (the #1 cause of uneaten cecals is too rich a diet/too many pellets), so maybe she'd do better on a pellet-free diet. Given that the change happened pretty suddenly after you'd had her for (I'm guessing) quite some time, a vet check definitely wouldn't be a bad idea just to make sure it's not anything serious. I recommend trying to bring fresh(ish) samples with you when you go to the vet, as that might be helpful.

Latest posts

Back