Any idea what this is and what I can treat it with.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My granddaughter's bunny has this dry like skin condition and it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone know what it is? Please message me for any information on what this could be and what I can treat it with. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210704_192802.jpg
    20210704_192802.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 21
While I have never personally seen something like this, whatever may have caused this, I believe, is not the main priority. What I see is a rabbit who likely had something occur which caused a skin irritation and either from that skin irritant itself, the rabbit interacting with it, or both, has now progressed to significant damage. I believe it has progressed enough that you need to take your granddaughter's rabbit to a rabbit-experienced vet as soon as possible. At the minimum, antibiotics are likely needed to fight off any infections that may or may not already exist due to what seems like wounds that have opened and crusted over. This isn't something that can be treated at home. Exotic vets (which is a specific type of vet) will be your best bet. Here is a list, which is most helpful if you are in the US: https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I would also inquire to your granddaughter about how this might have happened. If this is a result of housing, environment, care, or any other owner-mediated source, it is important to have it corrected in order to better this rabbit's quality of life.

The bunny is doing fine. He's had these dandruff looking flakes along his back almost since she got him. It doesn't seem like it bothers him. It's not sensitive to him. I put a little peroxide on the dry cracked looking area. (It just started looking like this within the last couple days). I have a dog that escaped his tether and was hit and dragged by a vehicle last week and I put some of the solution( Furacin) that the vet gave me to apply to the dog's road rash and it seemed to have held a little. Furacin is used to treat skin infections and works by killing bacteria and preventing their growth. I'll try to get some ivermectin when I take the dog back for his next visit which is this Saturday. Thank you for the information and concern.

The bunny is doing fine. He's had these dandruff looking flakes along his back almost since she got him. It doesn't seem like it bothers him. It's not sensitive to him. I put a little peroxide on the dry cracked looking area. (It just started looking like this within the last couple days). I have a dog that escaped his tether and was hit and dragged by a vehicle last week and I put some of the solution( Furacin) that the vet gave me to apply to the dog's road rash and it seemed to have held a little. Furacin is used to treat skin infections and works by killing bacteria and preventing their growth. I'll try to get some ivermectin when I take the dog back for his next visit which is this Saturday. Thank you for the information and concern.
Since you've already applied lots of treatments on him it would be wrong to diagnose from what we can see there. I would suggest that you stop applying everything you have at hand and see your vet as soon as possible. We don't know what it is, furacin can cause dermatitis as well, so please see your vet and probably what we see in your photo does not represent the skin condition, it can be just a mix of drugs, I don't want to speculate because we are not vets here and we can't diagnose from just one pic especially there's already lots of stuff applied.

Dandruff would have been the initial sign, as it usually indicates mites in rabbits. It would be best to take your bun to be seen by a rabbit vet as there now could be a secondary bacterial infection that needs treatment as well. But whichever you do, I would suggest asking for Revolution instead of ivermectin. Might be a little more expensive, but it's a simpler process as it usually only needs to be applied once, and is usually a safer med for rabbits than ivermectin, which some rabbits can be more sensitive to. But ivermectin treatment will work too, but needs to be injected or given orally, 3 times two weeks apart.

Since you've already applied lots of treatments on him it would be wrong to diagnose from what we can see there. I would suggest that you stop applying everything you have at hand and see your vet as soon as possible. We don't know what it is, furacin can cause dermatitis as well, so please see your vet and probably what we see in your photo does not represent the skin condition, it can be just a mix of drugs, I don't want to speculate because we are not vets here and we can't diagnose from just one pic especially there's already lots of stuff applied.
The picture that I put up is before ANYTHING was applied to it. I've only dropped a few drops of hydrogen peroxide one time then tried a few drops of the furacin. I didn't want to bathe him in anything. Being that we already have an unexpected and almost unaffordable vet bill from the dog's accident, I don't have much choice but to treat the bunny at home as best as I can. (My wife and I are already raising three grandchildren whom we have custody of with no help from the government or the lazy parents so needless to say it's not as easy as just running him down to the nearest rabbit doctor)

Dandruff would have been the initial sign, as it usually indicates mites in rabbits. It would be best to take your bun to be seen by a rabbit vet as there now could be a secondary bacterial infection that needs treatment as well. But whichever you do, I would suggest asking for Revolution instead of ivermectin. Might be a little more expensive, but it's a simpler process as it usually only needs to be applied once, and is usually a safer med for rabbits than ivermectin, which some rabbits can be more sensitive to. But ivermectin treatment will work too, but needs to be injected or given orally, 3 times two weeks apart.
Thank you, and yes it did initially start out looking like dandruff. When the dog goes to the vet in a couple days, I'm going to ask about the bunny's condition and maybe get to a solution without having to mortgage my house.

If you're in the UK or Europe, Xeno 450(spot on ivermectin) is available otc for mite treatment in rabbits. If you're in Australia/NZ, Revolution/Stronghold(spot on selamectin) I believe is otc. If you're in the US, ivermectin is otc but there are no specific products made for rabbits. And revolution is rx, so if you're in the US then maybe you can get some from your vet when you go in.

If you're in the UK or Europe, Xeno 450(spot on ivermectin) is available otc for mite treatment in rabbits. If you're in Australia/NZ, Revolution/Stronghold(spot on selamectin) I believe is otc. If you're in the US, ivermectin is otc but there are no specific products made for rabbits. And revolution is rx, so if you're in the US then maybe you can get some from your vet when you go in.
Thank you

The picture that I put up is before ANYTHING was applied to it. I've only dropped a few drops of hydrogen peroxide one time then tried a few drops of the furacin. I didn't want to bathe him in anything. Being that we already have an unexpected and almost unaffordable vet bill from the dog's accident, I don't have much choice but to treat the bunny at home as best as I can. (My wife and I are already raising three grandchildren whom we have custody of with no help from the government or the lazy parents so needless to say it's not as easy as just running him down to the nearest rabbit doctor)
Okay that's fair enough. Now you have an open wound there and what I would personally do before applying anything else, I would clean the wound to remove previous treatments and also dead skin cells and disinfect the wound.

I would use maybe saline solution (salt water) for that.You don't even have to buy it just boil some water with salt here's a short video how to do it at home

I would hold rabbit on my lap and would make a compress with saline solution on a cotton wool ball for 5-10 mins, pet your rabbit so he will sit still on your lap or ask someone to help you holding him still if he is not used to stay on you. If you can do it 2-3 times a day the wound will look much better by tomorrow. Ivermectin as mentioned above can be applied on an open wound and it will help healing as well, just I'd always clean wounds before applying anything.

The dandruff would usually indicate mites so ivermectin or other ant-mites treatment should help, also his whole area needs to be cleaned and kept clean because of mites are from dusty hay or from grass on your backyard or from another rabbit or through holding him they will be on your hands and clothes, so everything needs to be washed at min 55 C to kill the mites, otherwise you will have them again in awhile.

Hope your rabbit will get better soon, please keep us updated

Back