Any idea on breed or color of my new bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
This is Zoe. I've posted her story in the main forum. I'm kind of interested in finding out what breed or color she is. I'm thinking she's just black and maybe polish? But her black fur has some brown coloring and at times it's hard to tell whether she is completely dark brown or black. She may be a mixed breed, but I was thinking polish because of her size and body shape. She's about 2.5 pounds right now and my guess is she's over a year old and fully grown. I know she's cute, but any ideas?

[align=center]
Zoe1.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
Zoe4.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
Zoe6.jpg
[/align]

There is a color called "Seal" in Netherland Dwarfs (not sure what it's called in other breeds) that is very dark, but not black. Here's a description of it from the Island Gems website:

"Occasionally you may get a black that isn't really Black colored, instead it is a very dark brown or sable color. In Dwarfs this is known as a Seal colored rabbit. Seals are produced when the (chl) gene is passed to offspring. Seals carry two shading genes or one shading gene and one himi gene. To determine if your rabbit is black or seal color on an adult rabbit (not babies as their color isn't fully developed) check the color on the foot pads. True blacks will have a gray-blue pad. The seal will show a chocolate-brown pads."

I only know colors from what I read about them, other than smoke pearl marten and blue otter I haven't seen any of the colors in person. I hope the description helps you figure it out though! :)

She looks like a polish to me. JMO

Seal isn't recognied in Polish BUt that doesn't mean they do not occur. Some polish have netherland dwarf in the lines. Dfinetly a Polish

I'm thinking she may definitely be a seal then. I know it's not a recognized color, but it absolutely explains her coloring perfectly. Thanks Little Bay Poo for that - it's helped a ton. And I'm glad I was right in thinking she was a polish. I feel smart now.

I agree that she looks very Polish - but hard to tell without feeling her coat. Netherland Dwarf and Polish coats are very different.

Is her belly black, or is it slightly lighter? Seals are a little lighter on the belly - she may just be a off-colored black.

Pam

She definitely has a flyback coat. That would indeed make her a polish then. As far as her belly color, I'll have to check her again to be certain. I did sex her earlier, but I was honestly not paying much attention to color and I've been letting her be to get comfortable before picking her up and really feeling her and checking her over.

Regardless, she's a cutie and I'm in love...so color and breed doesn't much matter in the end. I was just curious.

pamnock wrote:
I agree that she looks very Polish - but hard to tell without feeling her coat. Netherland Dwarf and Polish coats are very different.

Is her belly black, or is it slightly lighter? Seals are a little lighter on the belly - she may just be a off-colored black.

Pam

Ditto!

Looks like Connor who Pam said looked Polish. I went to show and saw some polish buns and they look and feel like him.

101_7977.jpg

Latest posts

Back