Any guinea pig bonding experts?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I've posted this on a pig forum but nobody answered and i would like some help before i do anything in case it won't work and messes up current bondings. I currnetly have 2 pairs of female pigs, and a trio, and a lone male pig. The females i have had in a run together for a few hours, a few times with no problem at all, and so i want them to live together but i want to neuter the lone male as well so he has company, however i don't know how to go about introducing him, the girls they just get on with it and seem fine together, but i haven't put them in a hutch together yet, but witht the male should i just put him in and let them sort out their own rankings, or could it cause bonding problems, leading to me to have to seperate the feamles out more rather than bond them together? From what i have heard pigs will sort things out on their own more than rabbits, but i think that is just females. So the question really is, do i neuter the male and just put him with the herd and hope for the best, or just keep the girls together and leave the male on his own? There's no way i can get another pig, but he does seem happy and he does chat to the other pigs in my shed. Any opinions appreciated!

We used to have guinea pigs at school and very rarely had problems with bonding :3
All the females went together in a large run and whenever we got a new one we put her in a wire cage next to the run for a week or so and then she was put into the run. They usually got along after this. Once or twice a female has caused some problems so she was put into the cage again but she got along with the others eventually:3
They have been put with males sometimes too for breeding (these lived in large wire cages next to the run normally), sometimes female was put in his cage, they were put in a separate cage or he just went into the run (non-breeding females were taken out if that was ever the case, or the run was split so they wouldn't all be mated) Even then they got along nicely.
So I would definitely give it a go :3 I'm sure the male will be much happier with some company.

From my understanding, and remember i have not ever bonded piggies, but from what i am told you put piggies together and unless there is blood dont seperate them,lol, as crazy as it sounds. They sort thier stuff out, from my understanding. THere will be chutting, rumble strutting, mounting and chasing this is all normal. You dont have to have dates you just put them together and leave them, by taking them in and out they have to start the bonding all over again. Bonding a male with all those females is better then having more then one male with a bunch of females. This is all stuff that i have read and have no experience with b onding, the only bonding we did was when someone was adopting a foster pig we had and they brought thier piggie we put up a pen and just put them in and they went about thier buisness, then what the owner did when she left i have no idea.

good luck

Thanks you guys have made me feel so much hapier about doing it now, so i just have to get the money for the neuter and then a new hutch :)

Back