Any French Angora Owners?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country-Girl

Reaction score
I'll be hopefully purchasing one at the end of Feb!
Is there any tips I should know?
& is there a big difference in gender personality?

The main thing is just to make sure you are prepared for the grooming, there is a lot of it!

As far as gender, they seem to be a pretty friendly breed all around. Haven't met a mean one yet.

I'm prepared. I actually bought a baby changing table (20$) on craigslist (huge table for a great price & definitely great condition) to groom my doe on. I've never had a female rabbit only bucks. So this will be new to me ha! But I'll be spinning the wool and then hopefully use it for some crocheting :)

I have a five month old English angora male. He is the sweetest thing ever and I'm getting a two month old male Monday. I'm in love with them. I find them to be easier than any other animal I've ever had. I was worried about how much time it would take to keep them groomed but I just spend maybe 5 min a day brushing him out. He litter box trained himself. I would have five if I could. They are so lovable. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1391709502.363309.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1391709521.560835.jpg

French Angoras are the only one I haven't had. I have heard they are fairly easy to maintain as they have more guard hairs. The clean face and feet also help.

The personality really comes down to the rabbit. Intact does can be more hormonal and territorial, but some are sweet too. If you aren't looking to breed or have a specific need for a certain sex, choose based on the personality, coat, and even colour. Since you want to use the wool, you want a rabbit you can work with easily as well as wool you can use and will want to use. If you really have no interest in breeding or showing, you might want to get the rabbit spayed or neutered. Females cost more to get done and it is more invasive, so that may factor into your decision.

I'm already planning on getting her spayed. & heck ya it is a hell of a lot more expensive! Almost made me second guess getting doe ha! I'm choosing from a 8 week liter. It's hard to see personality traits when there so young. But I narrowed my options down on colour. (Self-Chocolate, Self Blue, Black Tort, self lilac or opal agouti) all colors are in the litters I'll be choosing 1 in! As for wool producing I'll probably just ask her which one is showing more stronger traits for that before I put the deposits down on the colour I want.

& yeah from what I've read it all depends on the owner about how long grooming takes. Because some owners like there angoras hair shorter than others or only groom like 1-2 times a week making it a longer process on one day than if they broke it up a little everyday throughout the week like you. Which is what I'll most likely be doing! Thank you so much for the reply!

My English angora was sheered a month ago, so doens't need much grooming at the moment. Before that, she has about 4-5 inches of wool and needed to be blown out about 2-3 times a week. Blowing is much easier than trying to brush them out. Since you want to use the wool, you do have to let it grow out a few inches. I think French angoras moult, so that does play into when you harvest the wool. When they do moult, they are more prone to matting as the moulting wool gets caught in with the other wool.

Could you blow out with a hair dryer ? And do you shear your rabbit yourself or do you take her to a certain place? Do the rabbits get irritable when your brushing them out on there tummy ?

A blow dryer isn't powerful enough, the most it can really do it fluff them up and help expose webbing. I have a small shop vac, but many people use professional dog dryers.
I sheer them myself. You do need good quality dog clippers and those can run $150 and up. It can be tricky to find someone who knows about rabbits and will make sure to keep the wool for you. If they aren't matted, you can carefully use scissors. I do prefer to use clippers around the neck and belly as it is safer.
Some rabbits don't like having their belly brushed. I tend to just keep it trimmed short (like in between regular sheering). It deosn't look great, but they are happier and it can help keep them cleaner. Unless you are showing, you can keep the belly trimmed.

I just looked on Amazon to see how much the shop vacs are, some are pretty pricey but I found one for 30$ so that's not bad 😉

I heard Home Depot has some on sale every once ina while so I'll keep checking there!
Thanks for all the help! If I have any more questions. I'll message you because I'm sure I'll have a lot once I get my bun bun

Latest posts

Back