Any Chance of Bacteria From Veggies and Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Sure, veggies can harbor bacteria. I think hay is more likely to contain mold/fungus spores, because bacteria and living mold require moisture, which hay doesn't have a lot of.

I remember when I first got Tony almost 3 years ago (gotcha day coming up next Sunday!) there was a salmonella on spinach scare, or something. Part of why you should wash your veggies, why the USDA (here, at least, I'm sure Canada has an equivalent Department of Agriculture) keeps track of food-borne poisoning, and why they do recalls etc. Usually the outbreaks of bacteria on vegetables and fruit are due to contamination by human waste somewhere between the field and the store. That's why they don't happen that often--producers try to keep things clean.

I don't think it has to be human waste. The spinach scare (organic yet!) was animal waste contamination I do believe.

Does e.coli affect rabbits? Do they react to the same bacteria that effects us? Could it cause the gas attacks so many of them seem to get?

sas :bunnydance:

E coli can affect rabbits, for sure. I guess animal waste could be an issue too, you're right, which makes me worry more because it's common to have animal waste in the field (manure) but not human. A lot of the organic manure used is chicken manure (salmonella). They react to some of the same bacteria, and I'm sure gas could be a symptom. These abnormal bacteria produce excess gas as part of their digestion of the food in the GI tract.

I don't know for sure. The really bad bacteria seem to be clostridium in bunnies, which are mentioned in that link you posted too.

Pipp wrote:
Just reading this article about food-borne bacteria affecting humans, and a lot of it is found in veggies, wondering if they'd affect rabbits.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/poison.html

Love to learn more.

pipp,,this is a good question.!!.sometimes there are recalls on foods,because people die,,the u.s.center for disease control--has the job of trying to figure out what went wrong.//.i saw a-fieid being irrigated with cow poop,,the e.coli bacteria is supposed to be killed when said liquid passes over uv lights,,but the pig farmer doesn,t know this and a simular bacteria is spread over spinach,vegy,s,etc--..the cdc deciffered a case that way.//.there are alot of examples--look fast food -jack in the box--not long ago--there yummy burgers were killing kids,,because of laxe cooking standards,,...it isnot to far fetched to imagine what these bacteria would do to an animal.//.a rabbit seems to have a very vulnerable immune system--if it came under attack.....sincerely james waller:wave::rose::pinkbouce::bunnydance::highfive:

tonyshuman wrote:
Sure, veggies can harbor bacteria. I think hay is more likely to contain mold/fungus spores, because bacteria and living mold require moisture, which hay doesn't have a lot of.

I remember when I first got Tony almost 3 years ago (gotcha day coming up next Sunday!) there was a salmonella on spinach scare, or something. Part of why you should wash your veggies, why the USDA (here, at least, I'm sure Canada has an equivalent Department of Agriculture) keeps track of food-borne poisoning, and why they do recalls etc. Usually the outbreaks of bacteria on vegetables and fruit are due to contamination by human waste somewhere between the field and the store. That's why they don't happen that often--producers try to keep things clean.
claire,,don,t let that usda label fool you,,it is just a stamp,on a package-,there is a dark side---the government doesn,t guarantee anything---oh,,but if-people die--it-will-get investigated and-might get corrected,--,ie..slaughter houses-where animals are processed,,it was found that when the cows were-hung, gutted,.that feces were allowed on the meat,,,rather than use chlorine bleach to kill contaminants(e.coli)-,,then when the contaminated meat is purchased people get sick,die,,then they care...sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance::biggrin2:

Pipp wrote:
I don't think it has to be human waste. The spinach scare (organic yet!) was animal waste contamination I do believe.

Does e.coli affect rabbits? Do they react to the same bacteria that effects us? Could it cause the gas attacks so many of them seem to get?

think about a rice patty field,,very sanitary,eh--hell-no,,does anyone have any idea what takes place there.??.--we can the sunshine for killing off most bacteria,,not mankind...sincerely james waller:wave::rose::highfive::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back