any advice for GI statis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
My 2 year old girl Cinnabun started acting a little different so I took her to the vet yesterday and they said she has some GI statis issues. They said she wasn't getting stoles (poop) through. They gave me metacam and another medicine that will get her insides moving. Well she began pooping like normal last night. She's eating normal and spending time with my other bunny. They said to give her a lot of hay which has been no issue at all. She has been drinking water but a little less than usual so the vet said to give her some in a syringe through out the day incase.

Any other advice? I'll do anything to help her get through this!

A few greens in addition to the hay can help. (dandelion greens, cilantro, kale, mustard greens, romaine, endive, parsley)

If you're bun is accustom to these things there shouldn't be any harm and offering a littler extra. But if you've never offered greens in the past I caution you on suddenly giving them now--as it could shock your bunnies system.

You're lucky that Cinnabun recovered so quickly . Please keep watch over allpoop and peeing.keep up a lot of fluids and hay, some veggies as suggested above and also exercise. running around will stimulate the Gi tract.
if the vet gave you gut motility drugs continue the use of the drugs as ordered unless he suggests otherwise.

You may want to give your vet an up-date today.:)
Glad Cinnabun is doing well

I'd make sure she's well brushed in case she's ingesting hair. my guys are shedding like crazy and Benjamin had a gas/stasis worry yesterday (never stopped eating, just tiny and few poops, and we got poop soon after giving some simethicone and shoving greens in his face). You could try some pedialyte to make sure she's hydrated too, and pumpkin puree would be good too, if she likes it. Pumpkins are in season here, so you could buy two, bake em at the same time, give some to your bun and make the rest into a pie!

I'm supposed to call my vet every morning with an update. Cinnabun has been continuing to eat and poop good. She's peed a little. We try syringing her water but she doesn't want it but she likes the cirapride and metacam. Her and my other rabbit Alfred have been being lazy. I'm gonna brush her though she hasn't been shedding much since I brushed a lot of her hair off. I'll see if I can get her to run around, I'll put them both at the bottom of the steps and get them to start off doing that. (They copy each other so you've gotta do the same for both of them:p)

I just had a rabbit get GI this weekend and he recovred in about 2 1/2 days. You can read my post for some more ideas on how to get her recovering nicely, etc.

Try some pineapple, parsley, those worked well for my buck.

Emily

Am I suppose to buy the actual pineapple and give her pieces of that?
26435854.Pineapple.jpg

Is this canned pumpkin okay? This is what we have:
22831928pumpkin.jpg

Fresh pineapple is the best, yes. You can give her pieces of it, yah. What I did was gave my boy some pieces (he didn't really like it) but then I had to give him liquids through a bottle, so I put about half the bottle with pineapple juice and the other half with slightly warmish water. That's what helped him to get better, was the liquids going into his system and getting read of the GI Stasis.

Fresh parsley is great because it helps to keep the food digesting. So it will clear up any blockages too.

Emily

as for the canned pumpkin - make sure it's not the pie filling, but the actual pumpkin. they may take to that better than the sweet pineapple - as too much sugar can upset the gi tract as well. And you don't want to make the situation worse.

I got carrots, parsley and a pineapple. How much pineapple juice should I give my bunny? She had some dandelions earlier along with some romaine so I'm only going to give her a little parsley tonight. I really need her to urinate more though so the pineapple juice and water is my main goal for tonight.

maybe 2-3 cc juice from a fresh pineapplenot a can ..I often times dilute it wth water.
I apologize that i didn't see you last post.

How are things going?

Things aren't too bad. She's urinated a few times. She's still eating and pooping good. I talked to the vet this morning and they said continue with the meds. I've been giving her 10ml of pineapple juice a day which I mix with water. So 10cc you could say. I do 5cc of juice and 5cc of water twice a day. That way it'll help her urinate and get things moving through the inside.

Latest posts

Back