Ants in carpet-how to remove them in a bunnysafe way?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
The ants are back! At first, I'd seen just small handful in the bathroom. Those have been taken care of. A cornstarch line has been put inside the pantry door. A week went by.

Now, the girlfriend woke me at 6:30 this morning as she was leaving for work to tell me that sometime while we slept last night, they decided to call the living room floor home.

I've been spraying with ACV and water. What else do I do that is bunnysafe?? I haven't yet found where they're coming in...when I do, I'll put either cornstarch or cinnamon and block it from Tippy, but for now, what do I put on my carpet??

Okay, before you do this please research it more. Or someone else might know. But I'm pretty sure that you can use Borax as an ant killer. Its organic and non-toxic. BUT I wouldn't let Tippy walk around in it. So lock her in the closet!
I think it kills ants and fleas. I've heard of it being used for fleas in a pet and child filled home.

I would assume that you would sprinkle it on the ants, leave it for a little while and then vacuum it up really well.
I would also suggest DE, but you'll ruin your vacuum if you vacuum it up. Trust me, I've done it.

The only thing with finding out if Borax is safe, its hard to look up. Because most of the things I've found said "boric acid" not borax. They're different things. Boric acid is when borax meets an acid. But I know that Borax is toxic in extremely high doses, just like salt or baking soda. Just don't ingest it. It doesn't stick to your skin or get absorbed into your skin either, it also doesn't build up in your system. I actually make my own laundry detergent and I put Borax into it.

You'll just want to see if its okay. Maybe call 20 Mule Team Borax company and ask them!

If you have a shop vac I would try the DE. I know they have different filters for the shop vacs so should have one that could protect the shop vac. They sell small shop vacs that probably do not cost that much. We use them in the garage and vacuum up all sorts of things and have used them in the house when renovating. I know dry wall dust does a job on vacuums but we have had no issues using a shop vac to vacuum it.

Hmm, I don't have a shopvac. I don't have a good vacuum. I've been spraying baseboards with ACV all morning and vacuumed them up....seems not terrible. There's not a ridiculous amount of them...but I want to curb it before it gets bad.

Anyone know about lavender essential oil with bunnies? Cinnamon?

Wash any hard surfaces with vinegar--it was my main ant prevention method when I lived in the Philippines. I think it breaks down smells that attract them.

Any herbs with a lot of menthol are supposed to repel insects, so think lavender, mints, etc. I know a knitter who protects her expensive wool collection from moths with dried lavender. It seems to work well for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Ants usually come from the outside, so you could use something a little stronger outside to establish a deadline. Also, they have those little tin ant stakes with a bait inside (for outside use) that only the ants can get to. We try to do our control measures outside and keep them there. Might want to call up your vet office and pose this problem to them or if the college has a vet program you might be able to pick their brain.

Thanks guys. We live on a second floor apartment so I'm not too concerned with them coming in from outside. They seem to be congregating most by the baseboard between the living room and bedroom on the living room side. I think they get in under the carpet, but I can't tell. Since Q is allowed house hop, I don't want to put down anything strong. I'll try lavender mist if it's bunnysafe...

I saw on a tv program one time that ants will not walk over chalk. You could try using that to outline your entries. I haven't tested this personally but its worth a shot! GL!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Re. "chalk": there was a chalk being sold in Chinese markets which was proven to contain an illegal pesticide. Regular chalk is just...chalk. May as well use DE; at least you know what's in it!

When I have ants attack my place, I use Fantastik, the counter spray. But I don't have a free-ranging rabbit, and I wipe up the Fantastik after the ants are dead using either a damp sponge or a mop with plain water.

Well there you have it!

They said scientists couldn't explain why exactly but thought it had to do with the ants not liking the feeling on their feet.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Back