Antibiotics for Babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I've seen two orphaned babies treated for infections this week, one with Baytril for a suspected upper respiratory infection, the other one, Elizabeth's little foster head tilt baby,with a form of Trimethoprim (likeBactrim). Both babies died. I know odds are against these kits from the get-go, but does anybody know anything about either of these two drugs and if one or the other (or another one altogether) is the better treatment? Or maybe not use them at all? And what about injectable antibiotics at that age? Is that feasible?

sas

Trimethoprim is sometimes chosen over Baytril for young rabbits due to possible cartilage abnormalities shown in studies of Baytril use in young puppies.

On the other hand, Baytril is generally well tolerated in rabbits, so a good vet needs to make the call on what method of treatment he believes is most effective.

Pam

I would guess that using injectable baytril would be safer than oral. One of the problems could be babies guts are less able to cope with the disturbence of ab's than adults.

Tam

I think it would depend upon the vet's recommendation.

Injecting Baytril is the best way to quickly get it into the rabbits system, so is a good initial action.

However, there is some risk of abscessing at the injection site. Also the oral Baytril will stay in the system longer than the injectable, making it preferred for long term use.

It is generally easier for the care giver to administer pills. There is also the issue of running out of new injection sites in a small rabbit which may require shots as often as 3x per day, but pills only 2x a day and injections can often be more expensive than pills.

Of course, side effects can also occur from oral administration.

Pam

Hey Pipp,

If the baby with the upper respitory infection your talking about is the one I was fostering, he wasn't one Baytril, he was on Chloropalm (not sure if spelt it right or not).

I think the antibiotics might of had something to do with my bunnies death, as it caused massive runny poos. I think it was just too much for him. I tried to keep him hydrated, but he just wasn't interested in eating at all, and I was scared of forcing liquids into him and getting them in his lungs.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back