antibiotics and gut flora

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikamc

Reaction score
about two months ago, my bunny some how got a skin infection so ended up on antibiotics. We decided we'd get her in for her spay after that cleared up, but had to do it soonish as the vet I wanted doing it is leaving for a few months. So she was spayed today (infections been cleared up about a month). She is back on the same antibiotic, I knew she would come home on antibiotics. It has me wondering though. If this were my dog I'd be giving her yogurt because I know antibiotic wreak havoc on the bacteria in the digestive tract. What does one give to a bunny, or does one not really worry about it?

Probiotics like bene bac (petsmart/petco)or florentaro that you can grab from a vet would be suitable.
and FYI Yogurt is kinda pointless to give to a dog, it may give us humans beneficial bacteria in the gut, but dogs have a totally different bacterial makeup in there that the same bacteria that's good for us is totally pointless to dogs, look at the diet difference. digestive tract length difference. metabolic difference. (same reason it wont work on bunnies)
Species specific probiotics are always best.

Barry is on his last day of antibiotics from his neuter last week. I have noticed nothing different about his poos or his appetite. Absolutely nothing abnormal at all, and he's had no probiotic. He does love the antibiotic though and will come running when he sees me with the little syringe of it.

cherry flavored sulfa drops? she loves it! ! my biggest concern is the back to back round of antibiotics. didn't know they made benebac for bunnies, will swing by the store after work thanks!

You don't need probiotics for all antibiotics. Some are easy on the gut, like sulfatrim. Baytril and penicillin can be hard on them and probiotics are recommended.

Bene-Bac. This stuff is excellent for restoration of the GI. Just sprinkle some powder on wet greens. I've even put it in water to administer with a syringe. You don't need to give a whole teaspoon.

I will always provide this with antibiotics, now, since only recently did I discover this product. Oh, yes--antibiotics mess up normal bacteria balance.

This will clear up soft stools and help a sluggish GI. Use this first before you run for drugs. It is a natural product.
:dutch

Bene bac is the probiotic most often recommended for rabbits. Although there are commercially available probiotics for dogs that are actually tested and contain flora that really does help (Purina and Iams both make one), the same doesn't really exist for rabbits so in truth we don't know exactly how much good probiotics do, but we do know that they aren't hurting.

Back