antibiotic is beef flavored

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn K

Reaction score
Our Netherland Dwarf Cocoa went to her vet due to a UTI. We have an antibiotic (Baytril) to give her. Our experience with previous bunnies was that it was next to impossible to get them to take ithis, because it is beef flavored (for dogs, I assume.) It has a strong smell like beef bouillion cubes, and she has been an exceptionally picky eater from day one. She will not take it willingly on a treat or piece of fruit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's not just that it's beef flavored that a rabbit may not like, it's that the antibiotic enrofloxacin itself tastes nasty, no matter the flavor. You could try adding it to something tasty like a bit of mushed banana. I used to mix it with a little bit of pure maple syrup to disguise the taste, and it worked. My rabbits would eagerly take it from a syringe. But you do have to be careful about not overdoing sugars, as it can disrupt the digestive microflora balance, which could cause digestive upset to occur.

The alternative would be to ask your vet to compound the baytril with something tasty to bunnies, like fruit flavored. Usually that's what rabbit vets will do if they're a knowledgeable rabbit vet. But it doesn't guarantee your rabbit will like it in fruit flavor form either.

Latest posts

Back