Anti-Slip stickers for slippery tile- safe?

• Thread starter Sophie's Humble Servant
  • Start date
Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sophie's Humble Servant

I have a 12"x24" marble tile in Sophie's condo that she loves to sleep and sit on. It's the only type of slippery flooring that she likes to be on, probably because it's nice and cool and it's in her favourite spot in her condo.

She really slips and slides on it though so I've been thinking about getting some of those peel and stick things for bathtubs to put onto the marble.

My question is, has anyone done this for their rabbit? I've researched and you can buy non toxic decals.

That being said I wouldn't want her to chew on them for obvious reasons. They would have to be very thin so that she can't get her teeth on them.

Would that be ok? Or is it unnecessary?

The rest of her condo is either carpet or rough linoleum.

My other question is, can she get sore hocks because of all the time she spends on the marble? Like mentioned it's 12 by 24 inches.

Yes, I might be paranoid but I don't want to have something bad happen to her because of my own ignorance.

Thanks friends:)

I'd be wary of them - just because something is non-toxic doesn't mean it can't cause a blockage ><

You could try using binder clips to attach fleece to the flooring - safe if ingested (fibers are too short to cause a blockage) and provides more traction. If you picked a thin enough fleece (a good option being cheap 50''x60'' "blankets" at Walmart that cost about $3 each and are thinner than fabric store fleece; you just have to pull out the yarn-like stitching around the edges) then the coolness of the marble should still come through.

As for sore hocks, I think it *could* in a bunny predisposed to them but for most bunnies I don't think it would be a problem. My girls spend a lot of time on hardwood floors (well, probably cheap laminate rather than actual hardwood, knowing this apartment complex) and don't have any issues. I believe certain breeds are much more predisposed than others. I would just check her feet once or twice a week for any signs of trouble.

Do sore hocks happen fairly quickly? I've had the tile in her condo for almost 8 months. If there was going to be an issue, would it have happened already? Her back hoofs look very furry still:)

I don't want to put fleece in her condo. I experimented with it outside of her condo to see what she would do and she digs and chews and eats it. I have to take her blanket away from her when she gets too chewy with it.

I think she'd probably tear it up. I used shelf-liners for the bottom of my cages once and all three rabbits tore at it and ate it, and it has a similar kind of texture

For sore hocks, I've only heard of that twice on a solid surface. Some rabbits are especially sensitive but besides them I don't think that sore hocks is the boogeyman we all make it out to be. She's probably fine if it's been this long.

I don't think that sore hocks is the boogeyman we all make it out to be. She's probably fine if it's been this long.

The sore hocks boogeyman sounds scary! Lol

Good to know, thank you:)

If you don't want to use fleece, then do you have any power tools? :p Scratches or grooves or something in the surface of the marble would give her some grip...

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless she seems to really be struggling on the smooth surface, or starts showing signs of sore hocks. She obviously likes it well enough that the slippery surface doesn't bother her too much. And hard surfaces won't affect all buns the same. Dakota was on a hard cement floor for 8 years before she started to show signs of sore hocks, and that's because of her old age that it's happening now.

Can you turn the tile upside down? Usually the floor tiles have a very rough bottom but it should still be pretty cool to the touch. The other option is to get a tile that is tumbled and maybe not so slippery.

Sore hocks is not the only concern. Slick floors can cause issues with joints as the bunny has to alter their normal gait to move around and the surface allows no give like they would get in nature on dirt/grass. Plus she can get injured if she splays her legs out when slipping.

It's only a 1' x 2' tile, though, it's not like she's running around on a big area that's so slick.

No she doesn't run on the tile and she can't jump onto it or from it because it's on the bottom of her condo in the corner. There is also the roof right above it.

Her hoofs do slide around quite a bit, when she's grooming her belly, it kind of looks like she's doing the splits.
Should I be worried about that?

Latest posts

Back