Anthony bit me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candykittten

Reaction score
Last night I was cuddling with Anthony on the couch, and he bit me. Hard on the hand. I think he was upset that I was restraining him which I can understand, but now I'm a little afraid of him :| He is also always trying to bite my boyfriend which makes my boyfriend opposed to interacting with him or even me having him!

Why is he being so aggressive? Are they anyways I can build my trust in him again?

When I first got my Walter, he would bite ( hard enough to draw blood!). But now, about a year later, he very rarely bites me anymore. I never gave up on him and continued to pet him and talk to him and pick him up and voila! He is soooo much better! He will bite or maybe more accurately, nips now and then but very very rarely bites and never draws blood anymore. He will quiver a teeny tiny bit when I hold him but he'll tolerate it so I look at it as a victory and a step forward.

How did he act right after the bite & how did you react? Was your bf there at the time?

You probably will feel better if you wear thin gloves around him for awhile.

You need to work with him regardless. We had some that were nipping, so I mostly ignored it. The ones that started to get too aggressive got the treatment they would from an alpha--I would pin them down or roll them onto their back and pin them. Only took a few sessions and there was no more biting. Not a good thing to let go on if they know they can manipulate you.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
You need to work with him regardless. We had some that were nipping, so I mostly ignored it. The ones that started to get too aggressive got the treatment they would from an alpha--I would pin them down or roll them onto their back and pin them. Only took a few sessions and there was no more biting. Not a good thing to let go on if they know they can manipulate you.

Nancy is right, when rabbits bite or nip, you need to show them who is Alpha. Believe me, my Dobby and Kreacher have bitten me. Not drawing blood but you know they grabbed you. I was scared at first. Bit upsetting when a cute little bunny bites, but don't give up. Flipped them both over, and have not had a problem since.

You and your boyfriend need to show your bunny who's Alpha. Yes your bunny is mad because he doesn't want to be held and everything is on his terms. Nope, time to show bunny who's boss. Once that's done, you will have a great relationship.

Good Luck.

K :)

LakeCondo wrote:
How did he act right after the bite & how did you react? Was your bf there at the time?

You probably will feel better if you wear thin gloves around him for awhile.

I was lying on the couch at the time and he was beside me. When he bit I pulled my hand away and rolled onto my side. Anthony just turned his back to me and sat there. Then my boyfriend picked Anthony up and put him back in his cage while I was tending to my hand.

So next time he acts aggressively I should flip him onto his back? Are there any other ways I should be showing him who's boss?

Oh man, I think it really depends on the bunny. If I pinned or rolled Samson, it would completely break our bond, and she'd be terrified of me. So not what I want with my pet.

Best way to avoid getting bit hard, is to not do things that get that reaction. You know and said yourself you were restraining him and he didn't like it, he communicated that to you in the clearest way he could since you knew and were doing it anyway. Most rabbits don't like to be held/cuddled/picked up anyway, and while there are times for like, bunny maintenance that its necessary, I find its best to not do those things.

Here's a great resource "http://language.rabbitspeak.com/", on how to communicate with your bun and know what to look for, and it will help you bond better as well :D

:yeahthat:

Well put, OneTwoThree. To add my 2cents, "The House Rabbit Handbook" does a great job of describing the importance of communicating with your buns. Good luck! : )

Nancy McClelland wrote:
:yeahthat: same thing happened to me and i followed advice, needless to say Ernie hasnt nipped me in a while!

It all depends--boxing or nipping I just ignore unless it gets too persistent--I'm the Alpha here and you sometimes have to let them know it. We've had several "shy" bunnies, but have never had one of them bite with "intent". The nippers weren't that much of a problem--just had too grip them and hold in such a way that they couldn't bite. You do have to have control or else it will be hell trying to do nails and clean glands. All I'm really saying is that both of you have to know who's the boss or life will be difficult.

I don't think I agree with that Nancy, I don't try to be the alpha with either of my bunnies, and I don't have a hard time with basic maintenance, I can even clip nails with them just lying on the floor with me. They are a prey animal so IME its more about creating and keeping trust than it is for example with a dog, that you would need to be the alpha of the pack.

I tried the "flip over and pin" method with Anthony and it seemed to lessen his aggression. He looked at me with a puzzled expression first couple times I did it :p I managed to get him and my boyfriend interacting too! My boyfriend enjoyed brushing him with the hair rolley :p

Hmmm... I agree. Peter is a shy bun, so if he does something I don't like I simply block off that area because I cannot show him I am the alpha, he would be very fearful of me after. I suppose different things work with different buns... some have stronger less timid personalities and their behavior is playful some have timid personalities and their biting comes from fear (ie. restraint). you just have to adjust to each but it sounds like you got your solution!

Latest posts

Back