Another Reason PETA Lost Me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
PETA and similar Animal Rights organizationshave the worst reputations for terrorist acts, and IMO, they justdidn't know when to quit. They got the world's attention, butinstead of using it to launch well thought out lobbying, they continuedwithheavy-handed, violent activities that (along with thediscovery they were euthanizing most of the pets brought into theircenter) lost them support of peaceful animal lovers and greatly weakendthe movement.

Now THIS isa direct result of their actions. IMO,they have now officially done far more harm thangood.

:bigtears:

Federal: Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act Signed Into Law!

Bill No.: H.R. 4239

Primary Sponsors:Representative Thomas Petri (WI-6)

ASPCA Position:Oppose

Action Needed:None

Update,November 27, 2006: We regret to report that the AnimalEnterprise Terrorism Act has been signed into law by thePresident. Thank you to all who have supported our efforts todefeat this bill.

Update, November 13,2006: We are sorry to report that the Animal EnterpriseTerrorism Act has passed in the House of Representatives. Thebill will now be presented to the President for his signature prior tobeing passed into law.

[line]

H.R. 4239, the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA), is a bill thatcould make it a crime punishable by imprisonment to cause any businessclassified as an "animal enterprise" to suffer a loss of profit—even ifthe company's financial decline is the result of legal activities, suchas peaceful protests, consumer boycotts or media campaigns. The term“animal enterprise” would include manufacturers, distributors andsellers of animals or animal products, research facilities, pet stores,breeders, zoos, rodeos, circuses, and animal shelters and the like.
While the ASPCA strongly opposes acts of violence, including vandalism,property damage and trespass, this bill threatens to criminalize as“terrorism” otherwise lawful, constitutionally protected acts oftenutilized by citizens and organizations to effect change. Lawful andpeaceful protests that, for example, urge a consumer boycott of acompany that does not use humane procedures, could be the target ofthis provision if the activity resulted in economic damage to thecompany.

The bill would also make it illegal to expose cruel conditions atfacilities such as puppy mills and research labs, if exposure of suchconditions—even if done lawfully—would result in economic damage to theanimal enterprise. There is no exemption in the bill to exclude“economic damage” that results from the disclosure of information abouta company’s treatment of animals, which is disclosed through publicinformation.

Wow!

This is the most ridiculous bill I have ever heard of. This is going to have serious ramifications for the poor animals.

t and loki

The not-so-funny thing is that I didn't even know this bill was in the house. :(

Where was that mega publicity machine on this one? Or was I asleep?

sas

Wow! I dunno, Pipp, maybe we were under the same rock because I never even heard anything about this bill, either.

I, myself, love animals of all types dearly, but I have never been abig fan of PETA.I recognizePETA is attempting toprotect animals, but they go to the extreme in pretty much every case.They go about it in entirely the wrong way. Examples such as theircampaign regarding the cruelty of fishing, targeted at kids, and theircampaign against the milk industry, are good reasons to question theorganization's collective sanity.They were telling kids thatif their fathers went out fishing that they'reone step awayfrom coming home and killing the family dog. They were also trying toconvince parents to give their children beer to drink because theirview was that milkingcows is cruel. Now I can't help but feelsad and defeated to know that efforts to bring down puppy mills and thelike are basically futile. Especially considering that all the facilityhas to do is claim "economic damage" to their "enterprise". What's thisworld coming to?

Heather

This is exactly the reason i am against most(but not all) animal "activists". The RSPCA does a great job but i findthese activists who break into all sorts of places, roughly throwanimals into bags and such to get them "safely" out of buildings. Thathuge news coverage about the guinea pig farm i thought was horrendous.Yes i was against the guinea pig farm being open but i do not seethrowing bricks through an old couple's windows, graffitti-ing fouldlanguage on they're houses, sending round letters to the neighbourstelling them that this man was a paedophile and lastly digging uphis recently dead mother and hiding the bones is a hundred timesworse than the guinea pigs being bred in that place.

Also there was that story about the activists that cut open the fencesto release a group of around 30 pigs of some sort (some kind of "hog"or something). These pigs led a fairly normal lie, OK so there destinywas the slaughter house but they were free range and had the run offields and woods. They cut the fences and all of the pigs escaped.About 15 were run over,5 were found dead in various areas, 5never returned and they only got a few of them back. Its disgusting howthey think they are helping when they very clearly are not.

Argh! So does this mean that the localcampaign to boycott a really, really horrid petstore isillegal? That would be awful because this place is filthy andseriously needs to be shut down. You can smell feces when youwalk in the door!

:growl:

More reasons why I dislike PETA strongly! I've said this before,but I think they are just hypocritical radicals! They spend too muchtime with their heads in the clouds trying to make everyone vegan (Yes,indirectly it helps animals, but no way would there be enough peopleturn vegan to actually make ahuge difference).

Now, people who try to make a difference will get punished when they are trying to make a difference peacefully!

For an organization that has so much publicity, it's a shame because Itruly think if it was run differently it would make a hugeimpact in the animal world!

That's my rant for today.

:banghead:rant:

Back