Another question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
Okay, so today is day 21 of Bubbles' pregnancy. I palpated her at day 14. I have read that at around day 21 , a person should be able to feel the bunnies move in her stomach around this time. Is this true? I dont want to try it unless I know if I can or not. I have read somany different things about this. Some say that this could hurt the babies, some say not.
Thanks

Also, I have her seperated from my other two does, who are not pregnant. Can I let her back in with the other does even though she is pregnant or should she be seperated still? I have them in a hutch that has removable doors in between each compartment. I have Bubbles seperated at the moment, but if it is safe to let the others in with her, I wouldnt mind letting them all runand hop in the same area, that way they all have more room to roam while they are not having their "free time"

Why did you seperate her in the first place? Just because?

I dont have much experience, but I personally would let her have her babies and keep her seperated just to be sure the other does dont do anything to the babies or whatever.

I read that it could be dangerous for the kits to do any poking after day 14. There are mixed feelings on this though. After reading and reading, too many things said it was dangerous and its just not worth it for me. I didnt even palpate mine at all because i was too chicken. Oreo (my bun) is due on Friday.. i'll just wait :)

I seperated her so that I could do a few things.
Keep watch that she is eating and drinking regularily, and so that any harm to her or the others are prevented. I just didnt want to chance her getting angry with my other does for coming to close to her. I guess I could have left them all together until closer to delivery. I wont do any palpating now. I dont want to risk losing any babies.

Thanks

No experience regarding pregnant does yet, but I've read that you really got to know what you are feeling when you palpate your doe. I don't plan even to try. Nervous Nellie I guess. I'll just wait the 30 days and see what's in the nest box. I like surprises. lol

Regarding separating your pregnant doe from the others, I would have done the same thing. Now that she's separated, just let her be where she is. Once kits are weaned, then introduce her back to her friends again.

Good Luck. Wishing an easy delivery and healthy kits. Please let us know.

K

My mom can lightly place her hand on some of our buns and feel the babies moving. I cant ever feel anything so i stick to palpating on day 14

Ah, the last days of pregnancy! Those can be some of the most nervous days in owning a bunny.

It's good that you separated the pregnant doe from the others. Not only will they harass her, she can potentially harm them as well. Pregnant does are extremely territorial. They feel that if you are anywhere near their nest that you obviously must be planning on harming the babies. They will try to distract you from the nest at first, they may even try to put themselves between you and the nest. With other bunnies however, especially females, the doe will take the more direct approach and attack them. This usually starts with a lot of circling, then kicking, biting, scratching, etc. The other female can be left with huge chunks of fur hanging off her, or worse, if someone doesn't step in and stop the fight or better yet prevent it in the first place.

As for palpating, if done properly it shouldn't harm the doe or her babies at all. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually fairly easy.

An easy and non evasive way of telling is to gently feel her belly while holding her in your lap. Have her facing away from you, her rear pressed up against your stomach. Then, gently putting your hand under her front legs, help her stand up on her back legs. She doesn't have to be standing up straight, having her at an angle works best. Then, gently run your fingers over her belly without pressing down too hard. If she isn't too chubby around the middle, you should be able to feel the baby bumps. If not, that's fine. Some females carry a lot of fat around their middles during pregnancy, so you may not be able to feel the kits. If that's the case, don't press harder to try and feel them.

The main thing right now is to provide her with a calm, clean space. Make sure she has a box to nest in, nesting materials, and plenty of food and water.

It will only be a matter of time before you will be a bunny grandparent! :)

A couple of hours before my bunny gave birth her stomach was like a washing machine!! It was moving all over the place, you could see feet, heads everything, i never palpated, i was too scared if i pressed to hard and i wanted to have a surprise of how many babies she made!

Latest posts

Back