another poop question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrahan

Reaction score
Has anybody ever seen like a cream or whitecolored poop with a toothpaste like texture? I found some on the floortoday. And I am wondering if it is something i should be worried about?I know it came from my female bunny, she is about 3 years old? Thankyou, Darlene

Hmm... i've never seen white poop. Unlesssomeone else on the board has seen it, I would assume that it was aproblem. Maybe one that warrants a vet visit. But see what the othermembers say first, as I am relatively new to bunnies.

Oh, now I see. It's probably bladder sludge. Itis usually caused by too much calcium in their diet. Do you feed alotof alfalfa?

Thanks to angieluv for pointing that out:)

hmm...they dont get any alfalfa hay. I havealways been feeding timothy hay. I give them raisins for treats. Andtheir pellets are Dumor brand rabbit feed. I did read the bag and it isfor younger rabbits and females who are breeding. I think i do need tochange their feed. But other than that just timothy hay and pellets.She also likes to chew on cardboard, could that be the problem? Thankyou bunnydude and angieluv. Darlene.

P.s Should I be worried?

I would gradually switch to a timothy-basedpellet feed, as pellets for young rabbits are generally alfalfa-basedand too high in calcium.

I have had the problem of my rabbit refusing to eat timothy pellets,however. I think a small amount of alfalfa pellets is okay,as long as most of their diet consists of grass hay and fresh veggies.

Feed for younger rabbits and pregnant does isprobably too rich and high in calcium. I tried to switch my rabbits toOxbow Timothy pellets from a petstore brand called Supreme. Theywouldn't eat the Oxbow just picked out the Supreme I had mixed with it.I'm not worried about pellets because my bunnies only get a small amt.

ddrahan.. I wouldn't worry a lot about thisbecause every rabbit i have ever had ,had that thick whitish or orangeurine sometimes but it never caused any problems...Just change to aless rich pellet

Thanks everyone for the responses...Is there anysuggestion as to what brand of pellets i should get for them. I have toyounger bunnies (about 6 months old) and two older bunnies (about 3years old). I buy my pellets at Tractor Supply. Thank you Darlene

I'm fairly sure that Tractor Supply probablysells alfafa based pellets for meat rabbits so all I could suggest isOxbow which you can order off their website ot any other qualitytimothy based pellet from a petstore. If they won't eat it then youcould possibly mix it like I tried. I wasn't too concerned about mypellets because I don't give my rabbits a large quantity. If you wantreally good hay you can have timothy hay from Oxbow delivered to yourhome. Its much cheaper than buying in stores and rabbits love it!!!!

most people on this site feed oxbow timothybased, but since it's not sold anywhere near me and way too expensiveto ship, i feed my boys purina rabbit chow, in the green bag for pets.i buy them in the 25. lb bag for only 5 dollars and they're the bestalfalfa pellet out there. you can find them at feed stores.

I'm surprised that your bunnies are turning their noses up at Oxbow Timothy. My guys love that stuff.

I mixed three kinds of pellets together --thenot so great kind that Pipp loves (bulk 12%), the ones sheonly sort of like (Martin Less Active), and the ones she hates (OxbowBBB /T) and eventually she started eating the whole works.:) She's definitely healthier.

SAS :)and PIPP :bunnydance:

Good thinking Pipp,,, I guess I'll trick themwith multiple brands. I just hated sweeping up all that oxbow pelletswhere they threw it all over to get the unhealthy ones.

angieluv wrote:
Good thinking Pipp,,, I guess I'll trick them with multiplebrands. I just hated sweeping up all that oxbow pellets where theythrew it all over to get the unhealthy ones.

LOL! Yeah, Pipp at first would leave the BB's untouched (andthrow the bowl), but I'd pick 'em up and put them back in thebowl. At first I ended up having to eventually giveleftoversto the piggy bunny who loves them, because I didn'tlike them sitting for more than a couple of days. but slowly over thecourse of a month, she started eating them. (I just didn'tincrease the amounts of the other pellets, if she didn't eat them, shegot less pellets).She waseating themlast, but she was eating them. Now she seems to be treatingthem all equally. :) And I didn't have to gothrough the guilt tripof starving my bunny intosubmission. AND, its cheaper.Those Bunny Basics are pricey!!

There's another bonus to the multiple brands of pellets -- they allhave a bit different shape and density, so their teeth get worn downmore evenly, which could help with things like molar spur prevention.

SAS :) and PIPP :bunnydance:

Hi everyone!

My rabbit passes sludge too sometimes.

It got better since i changed rabbit foods.

Honey's vet said that it's normal for rabbits to do that unless it's agreat deal of sludge all the time. Then there is a risk of bladderstones.

He said that rabbits get rid of extra calcium that they don't need through their urine.

I have 8 rabbits. 7 of them get Purina Complete (green bag) which is an alfalfa-based pellet.
I have one rabbit that has problems tolerating the higher protien soshe gets KayTee Timothy complete. It's readily available in most petsupplies and it's actually 1% lower in protien that the Oxbow.

All of mine get limited pellets so getting unlimited timothy hay is essential.

They only get romaine 2-3 times a week. No other greens are given.

Never had a problem with sludge.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back