Another litter box question..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv Buns

Reaction score
I've been using this for litter for the last month or so and its worked well for me. I've read a couple times about pine being a problem some how though, and its kind of got me scared/ wondering. I dont want my sweetie to have any problems and if I can provent it now I need to. Is this one a good thing to use for a litter? What should I know about pine being bad for my bun? It says Natural, odor control so I think its okay, but Id rather know what you all think too..

101_6184.jpg

I've also read that pine cone's and pine needles wont hurt a bun either??? Anyone know anything about this?

Pine cones are okay - not sure how they should be treated before your bunny eats them but I've bought some and they chew those. Pine needles I don't know.

As for the bedding for litter, it's not good, I don't recall why - it may be the resin in it. I use the pressed wood pellets for litter - they might be cheaper than your bedding ($4-7 for a 40 lb bag)

No idea about needles... Pine cones are fine, just to be on the pest free side, you can soak them in hot water then bake them at a lower temp, until their dry.

As for the Bedding. No no. Dont use softwoods, they excreet oils that are bad for animals, Especially animals that are low to the ground, bellys always touching the bedding, nose right above it breathing it in, the oils can lead to alot of problems from cancer to respiratory issues to inflamation of any area thats open to the shavings (eyes, nose, mouth, bum, etc...) So try and stay away from Pine, Cedar, Douglas Fir, or any other evergreen trees.
And its the lovely aroma that comes from the oils the wood gives off that give it it's natural odor control.

If you want to stick to shavings for litter, go grab a bale of 4cubic foot bale of aspen at petsmart for $11. Some feed stores sell the aspen chips (small little like 1/8-1/4" squares) but you get less in the bags even tho its the same size bag, ones compessed ones not. Think its sometimes referred to lab chips, just make sure their aspen.

Thanks I appreciate the answers. :) I will stop using it right away. You can see I've only used about 2 inches of the stuff over the time of a month / month and a half, so I hope it didnt bother my bun.

Thanks for the tips and new ideas!

Good, I was wondering how they could make a product that "swore" to be safe to the pet and it not be. (even though I know that happens. :( ) At least now I know nothing had happend while it was being used. Tweetiepy was right though the wood pellets are cheaper and a lot more of them from my local feed store. That and its a lot closer than our Walmart! I think I will go ahead and use this bag and then switch it over to the wood pellets.

You should get the wood pellets right away. Then you could mix the two (shavings and pellets) for your litter, so Jelly Bean will be exposed to smaller amounts of shavings at a time.

Yeah I called my local store and they sale it so I fig.ed with it being so much cheaper that I might as well do that. I think I will like it more too because it wont be such a mess. The shavings go everywhere when you pull them out of the bag and I have to sweep so the pellets should be easy to just pour. :)

I used to use the same stuff. Made the switch to pellets and they are a TON better. Wood Stove pellets here are $5 for 40lbs so they end up being the same or cheaper. The pellets also absorb on a whole different level. They keep bunny butts drier and smell fairly nice. The only suggestion I have for pellets is if you can get cheap hay, cover the pellets with it otherwise my buns would send pellets flying when they hopped out of the litter box. There is also a nice litter box which uses a plastic grid to keep the pellets in place. I am sure someone can post a link to the instructions on here. In my experience the pellets are just plain better for everyone.

Awesome. I'm glad to hear they are cheaper and better!! I never thought about them getting tossed from the litter box, but I have seen the little grids that clip on the litter boxes. I can get the cheap hay pretty easy too at the feed store. I know I wont use a bale of it as quick as I need to but lucky me... my whole yard just got dug up for a new sewer. lol Grass seeds and hay are in my near future anyway!!

Latest posts

Back