Another bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaya

Reaction score
I'm considering adopting a second rabbit. Today, my boyfriend saw some bunnies for sale while out buying more hay, and of course they're in outdoor hutches with wire bottoms. One of them is very friendly and came to the front of the cage to get a couple pets from Kenny. Considering they're at Dels (the place we usually get hay was closed) they'll likely go to outdoor homes and not be well taken care of, that is, if they're not going to be dinner. I'm wanting to save one of them (I know I can't save them all) and it's not completely impulsive as we have been wanting to find Rocket a buddy, but I also know that this would encourage Dels to continue selling rabbits (but will Dels ever stop this anyway? It's difficult enough to convince pet stores concerned about animals happiness to stop.) I'm also thinking, what if Rocket and this other rabbit don't get along? Then I have two rabbits that have to be caged separately and get time out of the cage separately and Rocket is used to having the whole apartment to roam anytime we're home.

Also, there is a rabbit shelter near here, and buying a rabbit from Dels would mean one of those shelter rabbits wouldn't be getting a home, but also, the shelter rabbits are in extremely better care/hands than these buns at Dels, which causes that little voice to say the bunnies at Dels need me more. Seeing animals for sale does this to me pretty often, I've done great at not becoming a hoarder though. Iam currently owned byonly one bunny andtwo dwarf rats.

There isn't really a question here. I believe I know what answers I'll get, but it'll be helpful to get responses nonetheless, I guess I'm really just posting to sort out my thoughts more than anything.

If I was in your shoes I would get a bunny from the rescue. Now saying that, both of my rabbits came from pet stores. This was before I knew anything about rabbits, I just thought they were cute little things that would sit in a cage and let me pet them when I wanted to. I have learned a lot since then. I didn't realize there were bunny's in shelters. I obviously didn't do my research.

I would go the rescue route because, like you said I wouldn't want to support Dels in selling rabbits. Also the bunny's at rescues can be older and have never had a chance to live with a good family. I would want to give one of those buns a chance to know what it is like to have a family. To have room to run and get pets.

Does the rescue near you have a listing of the rabbits online? Maybe you could see what is available and then make your decision.

I also like the idea of letting Rocket pick his own friend. Hopefully that will help with bonding but there are still no promises that they will bond.

Whatever you decide, I think it is great that a new rabbit will get a home. That is always a happy thing. Good luck and make sure to keep us updated. We will want to see pictures of this new bunny.

I guess both choices are a rescue.So it comes down to what bunny you want. Figure out which one needs a home the most.Ask the shelter if they know the history of their buns.Its great that you are getting a new bunny though.:D

A decision has been made that if we do adopt another family member, s/he will be from the shelter. The biggest reason being that Rocket could have several playdates until he's clearly bonded with someone at the shelter, and a couple other decision makers being that a store bunny isn't going to be fixed or litter trained(in 98% of cases) and the time between getting him/her and fixing day would be plenty of time to spray and urine mark whichever area of the apartment s/he is kept in. That would be a difficult cleanup even in a small area or mean losing our deposit when it's time to move. S/he at Dels is a gorgous English spot, but there are some very pretty and sweet bunnies at the shelter too.

The shelter does have a website with most of their available bunnies and a bio for each. Most say how the rabbit came to be at the shelter, their personality, any special needs, and litter box habits or lack of. Some are already bonded and must be adopted together, but there are always a few that still haven't found someone. I've met a couple of them, I go there to have Rocket's nails clipped and his scent glands cleaned. I also buy his hay there and when it runs out is about 6 weeks, so time to go again. :)

We have taken in several rescues from shelters (27 total). Would never get a bunny from a pet store as we feel it only spurs them on to sell more. In either case though, you don't get any guarantees on what type of bunny you'll end up with.

Latest posts

Back