Another breeding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
So we have a purebred Netherland Dwarf doe that's 1 year old. never been bred. Can she still have a litter successfully? I'm starting to get so flippin angry that my mom won't let us breed them when they should be bred because they're no use for breeding and we don't want to give them up just because they can be breed, but we can't fix them because we show them.

So is she too old to be bred (next) late February/early March? Thanks!

Emily

P.S. Same goes for our 1 year old Polish doe....can she still breed?

My understanding (and I'm sure others will chime in here) is that the dwarf breeds need to be bred by the 8 month or 9 month mark in order to have easier time with delivery.

I just bred some lionheads that were 9 months old and out of 3 litters we had 5 live babies and 5 that were DOA.

Peg

She is past the prime breeding age for a Dwarf. I can't promise you'll end up with babies. I also can't promise that nothing will happen to her. Are you willing to risk her by trying?

BlueGiants wrote:
She is past the prime breeding age for a Dwarf. I can't promise you'll end up with babies. I also can't promise that nothing will happen to her. Are you willing to risk her by trying?
Please listen to that. We lost a dwarf in labour and it was tragic.

No I don't think we're going to breed her.

If only my mom would listen to us and let us breed them at the right age! Errgh that makes me so mad. But, no we probably won't breed Willow (Netherland Dwarf), but we're talking with another proven ND breeder who we were going to "rent" a buck from. So we'll see what she has to say since she raises tons of NDs.

What about the Polish (Savannah)? Would she be fine? We were thinking of breeding both these girls next year in oneFebruary and then onein May.

Emily

I thought I'd share one thing y'all might want to consider.

Not every doe should be bred or is good for breeding. I know the ND doe definitely should not be bred due to her age and I'm pretty sure the Polish doe is too old also.

You really need to show the does to other breeders to see if they are good enough quality to risk breeding them. In other words - don't breed just to get babies - but breed to improve the breed and have showable bunnies. (Just my opinion).

Peg

TinysMom, Yes that's what we're doing. The 4-h rabbit superintendent breeds ND's and she's going to check Willow out for us. Yah, we do breed to improve the breed. That's the reason why we got the MR buck, because we were told by someone (a judge or someone) that he was a great brood buck.

We'll still keep the does for showing purposes and spay them at 2 or 2 1/2 and then just keep them as pets or sell them.

My mom just doesn't understand the rabbit breeding world.

Emily

It's hard when you have to listen to an adult that doen't really understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. Maybe you can print out some of the comments and advice from the Forum members (about what age to breed and why...) for the future, so you can explain it to your mom.

A lot of people don't understand that rabbits in general are ready to breed ata very young age (compared to other mammals). And that if they are not bred by a certain age, things start changing that may make breeding difficult/impossible. And as the rabbit gets older, it's harder on the doe, with complications more likely.

I also understand that your Mom may have her own reasons why she doesn't want you to breed them, and you have to respect that. I grew up with a mom that hates animals... I wasn'tsupposedto have anything with fur! I ended up with ONE bunny way back in the backyard, who was my pride and joy! Butmy Mommade things very difficult for me.

About That ^^^^^

Yes we've told her that they need to be bred at a young age, but she doesn't care. I just tried telling her right now and she just said "I know what you're trying to say but I don't understand..." What? How can you know but not know? GGGGRRRRR!!!!!

I'm just so p***ed because I really wanted brood does and now I don't have them. These are our show rabbits and my sister absolutely WILL NOT let me sell them, and we need to seriously reduce our herd to just two breeds: Mini Rex and Enlish Lops. We are getting an EL doe next spring to breed with Mississippi. What age of doe should we get? A 6 month old? So then she has time to adjust to her new home?

Emily

Could you maybe show your mum this forum and maybe she could post asking any questions she has or anything.

That way, if she says no, you know it is an informed decision and it will be easier to follow and respect :)

Latest posts

Back