Annoying...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
I get really annoyed that whenever I talk about my bunnies to people, there is always someone who always tells me "Rabbit is delicious" or "I've eaten that before".

I don't know why people think this is appropriate or if they seem to think it's hilarious. Because it's honestly not funny at all - at least not after I've heard it 5000 times.

I have a domesticated pet BUNNY.
He's not food, he wouldn't have barely any meat on him being a holland lop and you're telling me how good my beloved buddy would taste.

Eat rabbit all you want, but leave my pet bunny alone please.

Anyways - rant over.
I really just needed to post something like this to people who I'm sure also get the same thing.

People can be strange. It would be nice if instead they would say "I didn't know rabbits could be pets. Tell me a little about yours," Perhaps you could preempt the insensitive comments by saying "I hope you're not going to say rabbit is delicious, because to me it'd be like saying that dog or cat is delicious." or be funny & say "People say that rabbit stew is good, but my pet rabbit isn't much of a cook, so I prefer to make my own stew."

People see bunnies as meat. And it's not insensitive to see them that way.

I get it all the time. I don't get upset, but just say, my bunnies are a bit on the small side. But if you are interested, bigger rabbits like Cali's are heard to be delicious. Especially if you raise them yourself. Then I talk about how intelligent, funny, and completely loveable my bunnies are.

Instead of getting upset about it, educate them on bunnies. I've raise a few eyebrows on what I've said. And have given people insight on what a bunny really is. Can be pet or sustenance for a family. I get upset about starving children.

I believe people have the right to raise their own food. I also feel that it's also good to show them that just like goats, cows, chickens, pigs, rabbits can be pets too. Yes people have livestock as pets as well.

Not strange at all. And not annoying. It's called Life.

K:)

I have no problem with people raising rabbits for meat/hunting rabbits or anything like that to be honest.
I just wish people would stop thinking it's appropriate conversation to tell me that my pet bunny would taste good.

I like the whole my bunny doesn't make a very good stew comment though.

Usually I just sarcastically say "Yeah... I've NEVER heard that one before" and they usually get the point.

Looks like you have a handle on it. And maybe these people are just trying to get a rise out of you too. They like to get a reaction out of you. Some people are like that. I'd ignore it.

And IMHO, using a sarcastic tone just brings them down to their level. Just ignore them and walk away. They'll get the point.

Just think how it is for people whose name is the same as an American Idol winner or other new celeb. Lots of "You look different in person." "But I guess you're not THE ___ ___." etc.

LakeCondo wrote:
Just think how it is for people whose name is the same as an American Idol winner or other new celeb. Lots of "You look different in person." "But I guess you're not THE ___ ___." etc.

And the same non-response should be given. Showing these people that their response has no weight at all in your life. Walk away.

Be better than them. These people are just not worth the aggrevation they try to press on you by their silly responses.

I have to agree with you!just yesterday I had someone tell me that if cookie didn't make it (he had a very rough neuter on Thursday) that we could just eat HIM! I looked this person, who wasn't joking or being sarcastic straight in the face and told them that my pets are MY CHILDREN! And I would NEVER EAT my children! I asked if he would eat his? He shut up real fast!
Anybody can do what they want... But I would never eat a bunny anymore than I would eat a dog or a cat... It's just bizarre to me...

BunMommaD wrote:
I have to agree with you!just yesterday I had someone tell me that if cookie didn't make it (he had a very rough neuter on Thursday) that we could just eat HIM! I looked this person, who wasn't joking or being sarcastic straight in the face and told them that my pets are MY CHILDREN! And I would NEVER EAT my children! I asked if he would eat his? He shut up real fast!
Anybody can do what they want... But I would never eat a bunny anymore than I would eat a dog or a cat... It's just bizarre to me...
Sorry can't see how anyone would be serious about that. Practical jokers can have a straight face too.

And he might think you are bizzarre calling them your children. Maybe that's what shut him up.

BTW, we are on a Forum that reaches people around the World. They eat dogs and cats too. Along with rabbits. To them, hungry human children need food too.

To each their own.

Somehow when people find out you have rabbits, they will do 1 of 2 things. 1 is they tell you about a rabbit they have, this starts off with "I had a rabbit once but..." and never ends well for the rabbit. 2 is they make some joke or remark about eating rabbits and somethings eating your rabbit, for example in the hopping club we have gotten stuff like "what happens to the losers?" and it implies that they would be eaten.

I can understand the eating comments from people who live on farms or would raise their own meat (like if we were at a country fair or something), older people who would have kept them for that purpose and not as pets, but when it comes for people who should know better and do it just to get a reaction I have no patience for them.

Exactly! Thankfully we all have free will and can live how we wish! I don't really care how others live, as long as they don't tell me how to live! And I really don't care if he thought I was bizarre... With all my husband and I have been through to have children, our pets are our children. (and even if we are able to have living children one day... They will still be our kids as well) And anyone else who has been through what we have would understand... Ad those who haven't... Well they are the lucky ones...
I understand people in other parts of the world eat dogs and cats... I don't care what they do... Only that to ME, I would never dream of it!

:)

Ugh yes this can be quite annoying.

The worst comment I got was after my first bunny died after her spay surgery.

I had just eaten dinner with my boyfriend, was puffy eyed from crying most of the day.

His roommate came in and we told him the news.

"Oh, so is that what was for dinner?"

I wanted to punch him in the face. He was joking, but who the hell jokes about something like that???

Especially the boys make those comments and think it's funny like "she'd make a nice pair of slippers."

I'm a softie for my bun Java Bean, but I also have fists of steel. After 5 years of competitive Muay-Thai kickboxing, I've left a few of my fouled mouth friends writhing in pain.

Dulmit wrote:
Could always counter with "I prefer cat myself, dog is just too stringy"

Fantastic.
See I like the playful but sick humor in this.
Since I understand that some people are just trying to be funny and have a sicker sense of humor.
Granted, I'd never eat a dog or a cat either.

^Dito! lol

I've had many people say this to me and I usually say they're not the right breed or they're too small. :)

Latest posts

Back