Annoying bunny behavior!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kacyrenee

Reaction score
My rabbit has gotten spoiled from being out of his cage for long durations (bedroom majority of the day, bathroom all night), so now when I put him back in, he constantly chews the door wanting out. Since the door is made of metal wires, it is noisy and annoying. How can I get him to stop!? :?

Not only is it annoying he could also break his teeth. Hopefully someone else can help because this really needs to be stopped. I friend of mine had one of her rabbits break both of her teeth off in a matter of seconds of chewing the wire. She said she went over to get her to stop when it happened.

Oh no! That really concerns me. Does anyone know if there is any kind of spray that I can put on the wire that will turn him off of chewing?! :nerves1

I'm not sure what you could put on the cage but you could try to put lots of stuff in the cage to helpkeep your bunny occupied.

Try things like keeping hay (timothy)available at all times, wooden chew toys, maybe a straw mat. Rotate between several different toys so that he doesn't become bored with one.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.. I have tried giving him lots of different toys. He always has tons of different kinds of hay available, a little kabob that has different wooden shapes on it, a toilet paper roll, a ball, and an igloo. :expressionless

I am no expert by any means but I had the same problem with storm his cage was to small and he did not have toys he liked there where toys but he did not play with them.

Now storm is free rome all day but on the days I have to put him up I make sure to fill all his toilet paper rolls. I also fill his toilet papaer rolls with a different hay. Give him a new toy that I know he will like. And tons of timothy hay. Does he have a store bought cage or a Cude Condo.

If you dont have a cude condo I would suggest getting one storm can almost do his bunny dash 500 in his cage.

Here are some great examples. The four by 2 seem to be pretty popular. Thats what storm has also. I liked the idea and I can stack if I get another rabbit.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=37295&forum_id=21&page=3

Hope this helps

My Toby did that when I would put him in his cage for the night. I used a water spritzer bottle to deter the chewing. Also, when he was really bad (some of you may get mad about this) I would throw a balled-up sock towards the cage so it would get him to knock it off. I wouldn't throw it hard, but just enough for him to pause and go, "What the...?"

When Elf kicks it up a notch at night (usually if I haven't given her enough time out of her cage during the day) I can usually fill her box of hay or give her some greens and she'll knock it off because she has something to do.

I could see how that could backfire, though...make a rabbit think that she needs to raise a ruckus to get rewarded with hay/greens. :) Elf doesn't do it very often, though.

Thanks for all the advice.. He usually has a ton of hay/greens to keep him busy. I do think he needs a bigger cage.. I bought it in anticipation of a DWARF rabbit, and he is certainly not that. I think I might try to build him one or buy him one today. Also, my friend had suggested the water bottle trick, but I was afraid of getting the water in his ears, so I haven't tried that!!

kacyrenee wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.. He usually has a ton of hay/greens to keep him busy. I do think he needs a bigger cage.. I bought it in anticipation of a DWARF rabbit, and he is certainly not that. I think I might try to build him one or buy him one today. Also, my friend had suggested the water bottle trick, but I was afraid of getting the water in his ears, so I haven't tried that!!

I would look into orginize it cubes. They sell them at target much cheaper then a store bought cages. Thats what I was refering to as the cube condo. You can build them how ever you want.

I would not buy a store bought cage ever again. If you where planning on getting him another cage. You can also make the cube condo. Fit into any space.

kacyrenee wrote:
Yeah.. Probably a good idea. Can you give me a price range for a 3x2 or 4x2?

The4 by 2 I have took 3 boxes I had a lot of big cubes left over.They where 16.99 a peice so thats About 51 plus tax I could give you the exact. But thats only 3 cents off.

If youwant a 3 by 2 it only took 2 boxes that was the first cage I built for storm. Which would be 34 bucks which again is only 2 cents off. Plus tax. I just wanted storm to have a bigger cage cause I had the room and money but that was more then big enough for him.

You can only use the small ones. You can use the bigs one if that part is against the wall. Or as the floor sense you have to cover that. Bunnys can get there head through the bigs ones. And hurt them selves. So you have to use the smaller squares.

If you look at this thread you will see what I mean. The ones at target you get 9 big sqares and 11 small ones I think

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=40299&forum_id=1&page=3

Hope this helps

i can give you an idea about how to stop the bunny from chewing the metal bars. thumper does this all the time and i finally got him to stop. i use chew toys and wire tie a whole bunch in the area that he chews and he chews them instead.

Latest posts

Back