Animated Bunny Noses...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Ok...this may seem like a silly question, but I'm a terribly curious (not to mention VERy scientific) person, so I have to ask:

What is behind a bunny's nose-twitching? What is the purposeof their noses being so animated? Does anyone have any kindof site that will say?

Thanks, guys! :D

Alright...I'm a dork. I didn't bother researching before posting my thread.

So, now that I HAVE researched a little, let me at least enlighten you to what I've found.

From: http://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/guide.php?view=Rabbits&cat=About Rabbits&sub=Anatomy

"Why does a rabbit's nose twitch? It's so that all of the highlysensitive receptors are exposed to the air. A sign that a rabbit isvery relaxed is that its nose stops twitching as this is one of itsmany ways of detecting imminent danger."

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=667&S=5

"Part of the rabbit's anatomical design is geared towards detecting andescaping predators. Even when rabbits are sleeping they must constantlybe monitoring their environment for danger, hence the constant nosemovement. As they wiggle their nose and pull in air they also part thesplit in the upper lip to moisturize the air and improve the ability topick up scents."

Another interesting fact I found about digging from the same site:

"Digging – The European rabbit lived in interconnected burrows,called “warrens” so the main reason for digging is to create a safeplace to hide, sleep and reproduce. McBride also describes a secondreason for digging which is to produce a horseshoe-shaped depressioncalled a “scrape”. The scrape may provide a place to roll in dryearth or it may be where a food item was uncovered. However, sheconcludes that the most common reason is to provide a place for malerabbits to make small deposits of feces to mark their territory, actingas she states “like a billboard at the side of an open highway”."

This may explain why bunnies like to dig at carpet. Maybethey smell a certain part of the carpet where food may have been, andthey think it's buried now??

Anyway...there you go. That's what I've found out about nosey twitches. Enjoy! :D

My giant spray bottle of vinegar water (which isused to clean everything :p) fell of the floor and leaked a wholebunch. When Zorro was out, he wouldn't stop diggingat that area. He's good at not digging, except when it comesto my hair when I'm trying to sleep. (I'll nap on the floorsince the bunny who isn't running around has his cage on the bed so hedoesn't get pestered by the bunny that is running around)

very interesting! glad to know now that bun isrelaxed and not petrified when he sits on my lap! coincidently, he isdesperately trying to dig a hole in my jacket that i'm wearing rightnow! Silly bunny!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back