Animal shelter??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amelia1star

Reaction score
I'm thinking about bringing my mini to the animal shelter. He is half paralyzed. :( I just don't have all the Materials and time to take care of him, yet at the same time I love him and want him to be well taken care of. Do you think a local am
Normal shelter would take him in?

His chances of being euthanised upon entry are very high at a shelter. A paralysed bunny would be considered "unadoptable" and no shelter would be willing to spend hundreds of dollars on one rabbit's vet bills. No-kill shelters will probably reject him. It's a sad fact that very, very few people would even consider adopting a disabled animal, much less a rabbit, so it's simply not worth it to shelters to save him. He will not find a new home this way.

If you cannot take care of him, consider taking him to a vet to be put to sleep with you standing by his side. It would be a better and kinder send-off for him than dying scared and alone in a shelter.

If you send him to a shelter they will most likely euthanize him and not treat. Put an ad in your local classifieds see if someone is willing to take him, you could try taking him to a vet sometime vets or vet techs have soft spots and will adopt them and treat them, low chance but you never know you could call around. You could also look into rabbit sanctuaries in your area they may be willing to take him without euthanization (unless that's what's best for the bun). Don't give up on him, I know it's hard.
If it come down to it you could do what wiskey said and be there for his final moments.
Please don't give him to a shelter..
I wish I could take him for you, I'm sorry for your situation.

Your best bet with a shelter situation is a rabbit specific rescue group, groups like that are often more willing to take in special needs animals. If you let us know your approximate location, there might be someone on here who knows of a group like that near you who might be willing to take your little guy.

As the others have said, standard shelters don't often deal with special needs animals and he would likely be euthanaised there anyway.

Latest posts

Back