Animal Planet Episode

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry

Reaction score
I just saw acommercial forAnimal Planet Heroes Phoenix, it airs tonight at 10pm on AnimalPlanet. The commercial was about a "crazy", "out of control"rabbit breeder.

I know I like watching rabbit topic shows (there's so few andfar between)... I'm also interested to see what was deemed to be aRescue situation, or what is referred to as being a Crazy rabbitbreeder... I think a lot of us could fall under that category - I'mcrazy about my rabbits...lol.

The show description talks about a Schnauzer that was suspected ofbeing hit by a car... but the preview airing on TV is about the rabbitbreeder.

Here's the link to the rerun air times:
http://animal.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=2&cpi=112125&gid=0&channel=APL

Man, I miss having Animal Planet! Iswitched from basic digital cable to basic satellite because of theprice, and that's the only channel I'm missing that I actually watched.

I did see a previous episode where they raided a rabbit"breeder." This person was more of a hoarder- there werelarge numbers of free-roaming unsocialized rabbits having babieseverywhere. Some litters were found in rubbermaid containersand such. The entire place was torn appart and was a messfrom all the feral rabbits in it. I didn't care for what theydid with the rabbits, though. It would have been a greatopportunity to educate people on pet rabbits. Instead, theywere given to a rabbit sanctuary where they were spayed/neutered andreleased into large outdoor pens. They were well taken careof, but I feel that they missed an important opportunity.

I taped it, so I'm probably going to watch it sometime tonight. I'll let you know what it was about.

I just finished watching it. It was horrible...they got 51 rabbits. All were kept in absolutley despicable conditions,one had a serious eye infection that he didn't treat. The guy claimedit was a "hobby" even though he was selling them. It did have a happyending, though. They showed one of the bunnies going to what appearedto be a wonderful cage. They adopted him as a companion to anotherbunny they had. The new bunny also took a liking to their dog.Apparentely they snuggle every chance they get.

i only saw the end last night with the dog afterhe was back home...but im going to stay up and watch all of ittonight...i had no clue it had rabbits on it..i knew i should have readthe info..

i like animal planet i guess...but it seems like theyre onlyshowing a lot of reruns whenever i want to watch it:X

somebody should write or email animal planet and get a rabbit showstarted..i dont know what it could be about though:ponder:..raisingrabbits and showing them?...hmmm...well that would be great if thathappened

i stayed up to watch it last night...the webpagesaid it was coming on...but anyways there werent any bunnies so i guessit was the wrong one...:(...

bunnydude wrote:
I just finished watching it. It was horrible... they got 51 rabbits.
Honestly, that really isn't a lot of rabbits... I've got 55 on average- depending on what day of the week and what month it is... sometimesthere's more, sometimes there's less.

bunnydude wrote:
All were kept inabsolutley despicable conditions, one had a serious eye infection thathe didn't treat.
From what I saw, the cages were fairly cleanfor being older cages and having solid sitting boards. I didnot see any fur buildup or poop piles in cage corners at all.All of the rabbits were of healthy weights (if not, a few were overweight) and most appeared to be in good health as well. Theone with the Conjunctivitis was being treated with a spray.Most rabbit breeders are aware that not allvetsstudythe proper treatment and careofrabbits... other than treating certain conditions yourself, the bestbet would be to go to a livestock vet, and those are so few and farbetween.

bunnydude wrote:
The guy claimed it was a "hobby" even though he was selling them.
I'm a hobby breeder / exhibitor. Ialso sell rabbitsto other hobby breeders / exhibitorsand occasionally to pethomes. That money goes right back into the rabbits for theirfood, care & maintenance, and show expenses.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm sorry. I did not intend to offend you. Forinstance, when I said 51 was alot I meant that for him it was too many.Obviously you care for your rabbits well because you take the time topost on this forum and you don't have animal control on your back.Please don't be offended at all, that was not my intention

Bunnydude:)

:shock:Oh No... I didn't take offenseat all. I just misread your post and thought I'd elaborate alittle from my view :Blush:. The way I readit wasthat 51 rabbits was a lot for anyone - obviously that was not theintent.

I did not mean to come across as offended or anything of the sort.

This serves as a good example of how written words can be misinterpreted:). Sorry about the confusion:D

bunnydude wrote:
This serves as a good example of how written words can bemisinterpreted:). Sorry about the confusion:D
This also serves as a perfect example of how to conduct oneself when weare misunderstood! I just had to point that out because this could haveturned into a flame war - you both are mature and did not overreact,you only clarified what your intention was and did so very politely.

You have set a wonderful example and we all sure appreciate it when it plays out this way.

:highfive::blueribbon:

Back