Angry!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallice

Reaction score
Hi
I was recently in a pet store, and I was very unhappy with the way the rabbits were being housed. When I confronted the store owner about this, she claimed to be a rabbit breeder for 20 years, and that this was the manner in which all rabbit breeders kept their animals. I didn't believe this isn't true, but I could be wrong.

The rabbits were in small cages less than 2feet by 2 feet, and around 7-8 per cage. The cages had a wire bottom, which the poor buns were struggling to walk on, and there was no hay in sight, only pellets and water. Now, I know that wire bottoms can give sore hocks, and I explained this to the owner, but said it wasn't an issue in younger rabbits. Also, she told me they get hay once a day in the morning, though I was there at 1:30 in the afternoon and couldn't see the barest hint that hay was given.

Is it standard to use wire bottom cages when breeding? She also had other animals, such as rats and mice, that were crowded more than I'd ever seen in 20 gallon tanks (about 10 full sized rats, or over 40 mice). So, needless to say the owner gave me attitude, looked at me like I was stupid, then ignored me and left to help another customer.

So what should I do? I there any way to get the SPCA involved? I find it hard to believe that anyone who cares about rabbits or other animals would house them in this manner.

Any replies are much appreciated!!!

Latest posts

Back