Angry Lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv4lionheads

Reaction score
I have no idea what started this, but all of a sudden a couple days ago Charlotte, my 1 year-old female Lionhead has been acting really aggressive with her food, she would snort and charge the bowl while I put her food in. And just a couple minutes ago a neighbor girl whom I babysit, she's about 7. Charlotte was running about the room and the bowl was out with her. the girl put some food in the bowl, Charlotte charges, she screamed, and next thing I know she got bit. It wasn't deep, just broke the skin a little on top, but scared her. And now I can't get my bunny out of her cage to let her outside. Charlotte is usually very patient and gentle, and loves kids. and she wasn't food aggressive a week or so ago. What's wrong? Or what can I do to ease her anxiety?

How old is she? Is she spayed?

My first guess, without hearing your answer, is hormones. Typically around 5-6 months does can get very hormonal and turn into holy terrors. Really the only fix is to get her fixed and be patient.

If she is fixed already, then we can talk about behavioral things you can do to address the problem.

It's possible that she may calm down a bit around 1-1.5 years, but without getting rid of the hormones she's not really going to be in control of her territorialness or moods.

I would wear heavy gloves when you go in her cage and don't pull your hand away no matter what she does. If she charges or bites, just keep your hand there (hence the heavy gloves). She should learn that her behavior doesn't scare you and doesn't make you leave her territory, so she may stop. I wouldn't discipline her yet, you basically want to ignore the bad behavior, then if she is calm and polite to you give her a treat, give her dinner, etc. Reward the good behavior.

To be honest, no. Her hormones will remain the same. They might 'settle', whatever that end temperment may be, but once they settle, she will stay like that. Without spaying, territoriality, cage aggression and bad litterbox habits may be quite normal for her.

Ultimately soon (in the next year or so) you will need to get her spayed. After about the age of two, Does which haven't bred, develop a very high risk of uterine cancer, which has (I'm sorry to say) a very high death rate.

Maybe you can start saving up your allowance, because I don't think she will get any less aggressive. Can you not get a Saturday job? You can work in a supermarket, shops etc. and it's not very hard to get one :). I myself worked in a card shop since I was 16 (I got the job when I was 15), and worked in a vets also since I was 15, and not only was it very fulfilling, but it provided me with lots of money, that was much needed for my buns :)

She is 1 year old already, so I would imagine this is how she will stay.

Of course, different rabbits have different temperments/develop at different times, but I don't think she will get any less aggressive.

Jen

Jen gave you some great advice. Spaying is really necessary for health reasons in non-breeding does, and in many cases necessary for having a happy life with our bunnies by reducing benavioral problems.

I live in Michigan. There are no jobs!!:cry1: I will get the money,as soon as I can somehow find a job, and get my license. And I'm going on a mission trip I have to raise 360 $$ by june to go, so all my money is spent :( I'm sad It'll take so long, I'll definitely have the procedure done, though.

She may settle down in the future...but I would take steps now.
If this continues it will become a learned behavior and she will continue to do it because it works!

All bunns go through a "teenage" phase where they are holy terrors and drive their owners right 'round the bend!

We have three lionheads currently...two agressive and one we have to check for a pulse otherwise you wouldn't know she was alive! LOL;)

Since this is recent behavior it is time to nip it in the bud!
Bunns don't vocalize so they can't tell you off...so they go for the next effective means of communication! Lunging, biting and boxing are the most common.
When ours showed this behavior...we got a nice thick pair of work gloves and when they would try to lunge or act like a goon...we would gently but firmly push their head down and hold it while in a loud firm voice we would say "NO". Then repeat repeat repeat! And be consistant!:thumbup

If you know it is her food dish that sets her off make a point of handling and moving it so she knows she is NOT going to get her own way! Be sure to spend time handling and moving her "stuff" until she gets used to the idea that she isn't in charge!

Lionheads think they are the boss...always! LOL
I think they are great personality wise!:biggrin2:I love bossy bunns!

Danielle:)

You might want to check with the local Humane Society or SPCA to see if they have a low-cost spay/neuter program.

Latest posts

Back