Angora wool quality

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a satin angora and two satin x English and I was wondering what the best wool quality is. Does anybody have any good sources to learn about wool quality? My two does have dense fur and my satin buck has light fluffy wool.

MrsMarshmellow wrote:
I have a satin angora and two satin x English and I was wondering what the best wool quality is. Does anybody have any good sources to learn about wool quality? My two does have dense fur and my satin buck has light fluffy wool.
Don't have angoras. And my little Lion heads don't really produce that much wool, but I think it's neat that you are interested in spinning.

I did a quick search and came up with this. Really interested information with photos. Plus it talks about wool quality that you were asking about.

http://www.tanagersongfarm.com/fiber_arts/spinning_angora.html

Hope this helps a bit. Let us know how it goes. Would love to hear your experience in spinning.

K

Do you know how to spin? I have been trying to find someone to make yarn from my english angora. I just want one scarf from my little bini.

Each breed of angora rabbit is supposed to have different types of wool. Not one being the best but more so what you look for in the wool and its purpose. Here is a link to the National Angora Rabbit Breeders Club with descriptions of each angora breed what the wool feels like and also articles on how to groom and harvest wool.

http://nationalangorarabbitbreeders.com/

I've got an English Angora and a few months ago did some 'bunny fleece judging' at a show, the English are finer and softer than the Satins but the Satins have a higher percentage of guard hairs which can make it feel courser.

I'm a spinner but spinning angora is a lot different to spinning wool, however if you want to learn how to spin I suggest looking at a spindle. They can be made from an old CD, a few small O rings, a thin dowel and a hook... plus there's dozens of tutorials online. By flicking the spindle it puts twist in the fibre and therefore creates yarn.

Latest posts

Back