Angora help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndigoStorm

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a one year old Satin Angora, Stormcloud, who is easily spooked. I've been trying my hardest to make her less skittish and she's come around a lot, but I've come to the conclusion that it is just part of her personality.

One thing she absolutely hates is being picked up, so I try to keep that at a minimum. That being said, she's an angora, and she needs to be groomed at least twice a week. She HATES being brushed. I hold her in my lap and try to be gentle, but by the end of the session, her eyes are bulging out of her head in fear. I went two weeks with out brushing her while I was trying to bond/gain her trust and had to cut matts out of her because she wasn't brushed in that little of time, so it's a must. Is there anything I can do to make this more comfortable for her? Should I just give her a "puppy cut" to avoid it? (lol that would be a last resort, because I do love her beautiful coat)

Thanks for you help!

I don't know much about this kind of thing as my bunny is a short haired one but maybe you could feed her treats while you do it. It might make her actually want grooming time to get the treats. Every time you groom her you could maybe put a little bowl full of some treats so you can groom her while she eats them. Don't know if it would work but its worth a shot.

Good luck!

I don't know much about this kind of thing as my bunny is a short haired one but maybe you could feed her treats while you do it. It might make her actually want grooming time to get the treats. Every time you groom her you could maybe put a little bowl full of some treats so you can groom her while she eats them. Don't know if it would work but its worth a shot.

Good luck!

She won't accept treats when being held, or even in my lap. She just keeps that "frozen" bunny stiffness. She jumps onto the couch and sits next to me, and will accept treats then, but as soon as my hands are on her she either makes a mad dash, or freezes with fear.

How long have you had her?

Almost 5 months now. I got her from someone who had a ranch of them and was just using them to farm fur for spinning. She didn't like Stormys color. I wonder if there was something that happened to her to make her so afraid.

I can't say I have much else to suggest. Just continue what you're doing, talk sweetly, pet her gently, and keep treats constantly in front of her while doing so, eventually she is sure to take it. There's not much else you can do I shouldn't think.

A routine may help too. My guys get a good once over every night. About the same time I put a blanket down on the dryer and they get brushed/checked over. Make sure it's off of course. I always have treats available. My big guy use to freak but now it's the one time I can safely pick him up and not get the crap bitten out of me. That way she doesnt always associate being in your lap or on the couch with you as something negative like being brushed. Just a quick 5 minutes a night and work up longer until she gets more comfortable. It makes it easier too if I have to give medication or trim nails. My guys dont care if the washer/dryer is on, off, or other. And around bed time they just kind of look at me because they know it's coming. It took a good 3-4 months to build up to that point.

A routine may help too. My guys get a good once over every night. About the same time I put a blanket down on the dryer and they get brushed/checked over. Make sure it's off of course. I always have treats available. My big guy use to freak but now it's the one time I can safely pick him up and not get the crap bitten out of me. That way she doesnt always associate being in your lap or on the couch with you as something negative like being brushed. Just a quick 5 minutes a night and work up longer until she gets more comfortable. It makes it easier too if I have to give medication or trim nails. My guys dont care if the washer/dryer is on, off, or other. And around bed time they just kind of look at me because they know it's coming. It took a good 3-4 months to build up to that point.

I had never thought of the negative impact that that was giving laptime! I will definitely try this tonight!!! Thank you so much for your good advice!!!

My English Angora, Beatrix, does best with grooming on a grooming table. She likes sitting on laps, but it's always on *her terms* otherwise she can be a squiggly little thing and it's impossible to get matts out with a wiggly bunny!

There are a bunch of places out there that sell rabbit grooming tables (just a Google search for exactly that should get you a few), but I saved some $ and bought a wheelie cart right from Amazon. I just fold up a soft fleece blanket and lay it on the top rack to make it comfy. Bonus storage underneath! I have this one - fair note I'm really short, and the top level may not be high enough if you're super tall: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000063SI0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also find with Beatrix that a few minutes of brushing, then some soft pets (she is soothed by pets on her face and ears) and some nibble treats like tiny bites of banana or cilantro keep her put on the table if she knows more of that is in store.

I will say, * do not walk away from bunny* on a table, no matter how many times you've seen people leave angoras on tables and pedestals at fiber festivals and the like - maybe Bea is the exception to the rule, but she'll always make a jump for it if I don't leave one hand on her at all times... perhaps she's the exception to the "poor depth perception" rule? :)

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back