angora help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtev

Reaction score
Hello,
Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.
Not having much luck yet in locating a couple angoras.
I want them as pets and for fiber. Not interested in breeding and not really sure how to sex them so probably looking to buy from someone who knows what they are doing. thank you!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, from the United States so don't know where to point you to get angoras. But I am for certain that someone here does.

They are really awesome bunnies as pets. And really looking forward to hearing how you make out with the fiber.

Wishing you luck in your venture.

K :)

You can try looking in local shelters. Some might get an angora from time to time but it is rare. Some shelters and rescues are not great at breed ID, so may label a lionhead as an angora, so it is important for your to look carefully at any photos and maybe contact them if it will be a long trip for you.

You can also try kijiji or other classifieds websites. While this is not the best way to get a rabbit, you might find someone who has to find a new home for their rabbit.

Find a local rabbit breeders club. They may be a breeder who has some angoras for sale. They might also have slightly older ones who could be retired from breeding or just not needed in the breeding program. Even if there are no breeders in your area, there could be someone who has an angora that they are willing to sell. Also try doing a google search for angora breeders in your area as that can being up people who are not part of a club.
Ontario tends to have a fair number of breeders and there should be some rabbit shows. You can go to a show and see what is there. Since many breeders travel to shows, it can be a good time to get a rabbit that you would otherwise have trouble getting due to the distance.
Most breeders are helpful, so don't be afraid to e-mail someone and ask if they know of any breeders. If you end up getting an angora from somewhere else (like a rescue), you can contact a breeder for help with grooming or other care if needed.

Last year there was a hoarding case in Eastern Canada that many rescue groups took buns from. My Houdini's mom came from that situation and Luv-n-bunns still has one of his siblings. The PA/DE HRS still has one bun from the situation too, so you might be luckier than you think with the rescues still. Unfortunately it can be hard to place an angora because of all the grooming. Be aware that many rescues will cut the wool short so they don't have as much grooming, but it will grow out over time.

On the bright side, I got to meet several of Houdini's relatives at the rescue holiday party (people brought the buns for pictures with santa). The ones I have met are all shades from creamy tan to black.

All of the rescues and shelters I know of use petfinder. Granted that is how I look for animals, so it may be circular reasoning. You could probably also try a general internet search for rescues if you don't find what you are looking for on petfinder.

Not all shelters have rabbits, but many SPCAs and humane societys do. There are also private rescues that have rabbits and some focus only on small animals like rabbits and guinea pigs.
http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/rabbits.htm
http://www.rabbitrescue.ca/ -also have a list of shelters they work with that might have rabbits.
http://www.newmoonrabbitrescue.ca/

Petfinder can be good, but not all shelters use it. I know that the shelters around here that have rabbits don't use pet finder and the ones that do use it don't have rabbits. It is worth as try as each area is different.

So did you have any luck finding your angoras? Hope you did.

I'm loving my Lion Head with his Angora like fur. So soft. Definitely started keeping his fur from grooming. Maybe make a scarf out of it. Would be interesting though.

Again, hope you were successful in finding your angoras. Another beautiful rabbit.

K :)

Latest posts

Back