Angora grooming tips?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckusluvr

Reaction score
one of my Angoras, Charmin would rather me not brush him. He doesnt mind some plucking. And I have never tried to blow his coat out.

Since he doesnt like me trying to groom him I like to keep his coat pretty short. I leave it about an inch all over.

Does anyone have any tips for me to make scissoring him easier? He is just squirmy and wants to hop in circles, and then dig. and he doesnt like me doing anything under his chin. usually i just keep on trying and he will eventually just give in and set still for me.

Maybe I should give him a handful of greens or a few slices of apple while i trim him?
Or could i put him in a big box where he doesnt have so much room to hop around?
Should I be dividing his trimming into a few sessions?

Also, if he nips at me, and I stop arent I training him TO nip at me to get his way? I always stop after he has behaving good so maybe I can teach him that bad behavior does not get him anywhere. I dont know if rabbits work like this, but I groom dogs, and that is what works to teach them.

Thanks for any tips! He got his hair cut already, so it will be a while before I need to do it again.

***edit***
I just realized that I have already asked a similar question and i didnt even try out those tips yet! i guess i forgot LOL
sorry! any more tips welcome!

If all else fails...try asking again on the bereeders page...they are bound to have some tricks and tips to help out!

Danielle

I have an American Fuzzy lop cross whose hair is VERY long..and I don't like hair so I actually shave mine. I'm a dog groomer, though, so for his shave I actually put him up on the grooming table and I think the height startles him and keeps him still. For under his chin I actually trance him in my lap and do a little at a time (he's the same way for that area..but is REALLY good for the rest of his body). I'm not sure if either of those help you, but hopefully they do :). I'll have to post some pictures of poor shaved Chompers so you can all laugh at him :p.

I had a VERY hard time getting the clippers through his fur, even with a freshly sharpened blade!
I know how to trance rabbits, I can trance all of mine no problem... but Charmin. It just doesnt work for him!

Charmin did pretty well on the grooming table the first time I shaved him, I had to take him down with a #15 because he was so matted.

I wish I could get a long walh guard through his fur! then I could just zip the clippers over him and leave him an inch all over. but hauling him back and fourth to the grooming shop would be a pain to do so often too.

Latest posts

Back