Angora--Fur matting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam111

Reaction score
I have a French Angora doe that had pretty bad mats when I got her. I have cut a lot of her fur off, but she doesn't like to be picked up for very long (or at all), so it takes a long time to do this, and she squirms the whole time. The areas where the mats are the worst, though, like her bottom and belly and legs, she won't let me cut off. She HATES being flipped over, so I haven't been able to trim her belly fur. So, of course, the matting is just getting worse. I was hoping I could brush some of them out, but I don't think I can. Does anyone have any advice for how I can take care of her fur better? She's not a mean bunny. She's curious and will come up and let me pet her or she will jump on the couch or the bed, but she's not super friendly and she came from a breeder that I don't think handled her much.

She won't stay still when I flip her on her back long enough for it to work. It's hard to even get her flipped over. She kicks and grunts.

Possibly. I live alone, but I can try to get one of my friends to help. I'm also worried because she gets so stressed out when I am doing it. She starts breathing so fast.

Oh man angora fur drives me CRAZY!!

About a year ago I also adopted an Angora (German) who also had horrid mats when I got him.

Here he is before his first hair cut:

P6110288.jpg

And after (1 month later):

P6280020.jpg

He also didnt like to have his belly touched. So we had to wrap him in a towell and flip him over and have some one gently hold his squirmy feet! He HATED it but it had to be done, his mats were starting to peal off the skin, it was horrible.

Anyways he got used to it after the first 4 or 5 hair cuts and now doesnt mind it at all, so hopefully your bun will get used to it as well :D

~Amy

Thank you bothfor the suggestions. I think I will just have to get someone to come over to help me and I will try to wrap her in a towel also.

Hiya,

If she's very badly matted the best option maybe to get your vet to shave her. The matts maybe very close to the skin and it can be hard to cut them on a wriggly rabbit without nicking the skin. That way you can start from scratch and have the option to keep the fur trimmed short yourself for maintainance or let it grow out again.

I fostered an angora whose owners had let him get into a similar state. I don't have before pictures but here he is after his shave:

PICT1258a.jpg

The fur grows at an amazing rate, here he is a couple of weeks later:

PICT1316a.jpg

Tam

Thank you. Right now, they don;t seem so bad that I can't still cut them off. However, if I can't then I will have to take her in to a vet.

By the way, both the rabbits in this thread are TOO cute. I love them.

i have 2 english angoras i haven't had to clip them (thank goodness i am so scared of nicking them) once you get the mats out the easiest corse is a daily brushing. good luck.

Back