And yet another color question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

Reaction score
My french lop broken chestnut buck and my french lop frosted pearl had a litter and I am baffled on the color of a couple of the babies. All are are broken. There are som chestnuts and some chins. On a couple of the broken chinchillas their faces and ears definitely look chin color, but behind their ears on their neck is a light brown color and then there is almost a strip of chestnut color running thru the chinchilla coloring on their back???? :?

yeah...7 weeks would be old enough to start showing smut. Smut is an "off" color, usually darker than their declared color that shows up on rabbits from parents of a different color. The most common is with oranges from chestnuts. They'll start of being orange, but as they get older, they gradually add a few darker hairs, usually around the face, rump and lower sides. It can take up to 3 generations to get rid of, but usually it's just faulted on the show table (not a DQ).

I would probably just put broken chinchilla, although I would consider just selling it as a pet instead if it has so much smut at that age.

Back