an update on Rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
His fur and skin are still the same, bald and flaking. Boosting his diet with Nutri-Cal and sunflower seeds (limited, mind you) have helped him to gain weight, but they haven't done a thing for his fur. He's had two applications of Revolution, and is due for the third next week.

Dr. Fulton called sometime last week, and due to a spectacular mishandling of phone messages, I only just heard about it :foreheadsmack: I'd call her back, but of course, today is her day off.

Rex's nose has been snuffly and damp - no discharge, but definitely unusual for him, and TO TOP IT OFF, this morning I noticed 'gunk' in his right ear:sigh: So I called the vet and we have an appointment at 2:10 today with Dr. G. He's consulted with Dr. Fulton over Rex's skin issues and lab results, and he's just a really knowledgeable vet, so I feel confident that he can asses the situation.

Rex looks pretty terrible, to be honest. Like a neglected homeless bunny. His spirits are great and this hasn't yet dampened his attitude. I'm tired of constant trips to the vet with yet another rabbit, and I just feel awful that I can't seem to help him.

Just got back from the vet...

Rex had his (third? fourth?) skin scrape that yet again came back clean. The gunk in his ear is just a build up of wax. He's been put on antibiotics and has a recheck in 10 days.

Dr. G is stumped, to be honest. Fungal cultures - clean. Skin scrapes - clean. Blood panel - normal.

But his skin is scaley and flakey, and his fur is falling out. You'll just have to forgive me for being a tad exhasperated:faint:

Im so sorry to hear your boy still is not well, Emily. I just cant think of what else it could be. How long has this been going on now?

Haley wrote:
Im so sorry to hear your boy still is not well, Emily. I just cant think of what else it could be. How long has this been going on now?
Since the beginning of January :(

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Male pattern baldness.
hehe...that's the first thing Dr. G said ;)

Poor little guy. He may look bad, but you're being a good bunny momma and doing whatever you can to figure this out! At least he's not too upset about it--must not be a vain bunny! Good wishes to you both~~

Has anyone done a blood test Emily? I remember reading something a while ago about how fur loss could be related to a thyroid problem in rare cases.

Haley wrote:
Has anyone done a blood test Emily? I remember reading something a while ago about how fur loss could be related to a thyroid problem in rare cases.
At the last visit a blood panel was done, and the results were a slightly elevated liver count (though 'within the range of normal') and a slightly elevated white blood cell count (which Dr. G said could be a stress response to the visit) :dunno

How sad for your little one - at least it doesn't sound like he "feels" all that bad. Its so frustrating when Dr.'s can't figure out the problem. I know when I had a cat that was really sick a great source of info was the UC Davis vetrinary school's website - you might google them and see what info. I even called them and they were very nice about suggesting where to look for other info. Good luck and please keep posting as someone else mayhave to deal with this in the future.

m.e. wrote:
Haley wrote:
At the last visit a blood panel was done, and the results were a slightly elevated liver count (though 'within the range of normal') and a slightly elevated white blood cell count (which Dr. G said could be a stress response to the visit) :dunno

Double check on the thyroid issue. Most times a standard blood panel does not include TSh and T4 testing.

Hope Rex does better.

seniorcats wrote:
m.e. wrote:
Haley wrote:

Double check on the thyroid issue. Most times a standard blood panel does not include TSh and T4 testing.

Hope Rex does better.
Okay, I'll make sure to ask Dr. G at the next visit (on the 29th) - he had mentioned doing further testing (and maybe a biopsy?) if Rex isn't improving.

Back