An unusual experience on Guinea Lynx site

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoria

Reaction score
I would like to chat about another forum I went on. It is called Guinea Pig Lynx. I have a guinea pig. (Now I Have two as she was lonely and I got another girl ). It was recommended by several sites I think by this site too. Initially it was ok and I read some useful stuff on how to look after the guinea piggies. Then I started getting some kind of aggressive/negative messages saying that I should not get any animals if I cant take them to the vet etc and that I am irresponsible - all this without trying to understand what was happening really (It was true I could not always take them to the vet -but they were all sick and all at the same time and then I got sick and had to have surgery and another one again). So after several members supporting each other in making negative comments to me I have not appeared on that site again. I was wondering was it just me they responded to so negatively due to the fact probably I was so stressed as a contributory problem or is this site known to be a bit on the negative side to some people? If so why?! This is not to gossip or just to vent but I would like to understand what it was about in there... I am not too sure at the moment.

i stay away from that site and another site out there that is a big guinea pig site. I go there for information when needed but i find them to be , like you said, very aggressive, and sometimes down right mean. They can tend to be "their way or else" mentality. I believe in educating and talking to people not yelling and "making" them do it my way. Alot of the people on their are very much proactive for rescue and against breeding, against pet store animals, why i am all for all that stuff i tend to maybe go about it differently i guess then most of the people on those sites. now please when i say that site or those sites, i dont mean everyone on those sites are that way, that has just been my experience while on the sites mentioned.

Some forums are very mean and drive people away. We pride ourselves here for being friendly and informative and the mods do a good job a roping in the members that aren't.

I don't really like Guinea Lynx either. If you have slighty different opinions to what is ''accepted'' by them, then you might as well forget about it. Nothing compared to the way people are on this site.

I'm on GuineaLynx. It's a great site for information but I don't really post in the forums anymore. In my opinion they can be down right rude if they do not agree with a single aspect of care. I got tired of watching the members gang up on others, especially newbies. This only drives the people away, thus not helping the pigs AT ALL. They also seem to forget a HUMAN BEING with feelings is on the other end of the computer. God forbid you are more sensitive than others. This is my opinion and I haven't even been treated badly like others on the forum.

I recommend reading up on the information they provide but not getting involved in the forums.

I agree, The site has good info but I would never join in converstation with anyone there. Too much negativity and lecturing for me :soapbox

It's sort of "my way or the highway" attitude there which I don't care for at all.

I don't have piggies, but I do have rats and had to stop going on a popular rat forum because of how nasty and "clickish" members are there. I only go on every once in a while to read through some threads.

I am a member of a young moms site but it is the second site I joined because the first was like that too where you basically had to agree with exactly how the mods thought things should be or you were called out and told off. I wish all forums were like RO and youngmommies because what is the point of a forum full of jerks?

Oh. I am not the only one. I dont mean to be starting a thread about badness of that site. But what was said in here made me feel a bit better, while a bit worried that I am starting a sort of "hate thread" which is not a good thing. Thanks heaps for all the replies it actually made it more clear. I was not sure what is going on. First I myself responded a bit aggressive to their responses but aggression only breeds more aggression. Then my English is not perfect it is not my first language. So I did not know if it is communication problem or is it their policies we disagreed on or if it is a bit of all of it or something else. I still go to them for information but have not posted any more.

I also noticed that not all people are there like this but only a few but the moderators or people who are there for a while (dont think they have moderators) did not do much re this and also sort of all ganged up on me. I must have been a bit sensitive and it was a bit hurtful when I was told not to get more animals since I dont know how to look after them or have no funds etc. Then other people joined in when I answered negatively to this and similar comments. Possibly I should have not reacted then they would have nothing to respond to. Anyway thanks it kind of explained it - "their way or highway" is what some there do. I did not understand it because I posted here for a while and nothing like that happened here.

:). I think after that experience countrybuns I am a bit worried that if I express my opinion it may end up badly as well again.

I think that if an opinion is posted respectfully, everything will be OK even if people disagree - keep it impersonal.
I try to read my posts over a few minutes after I've written them, to make sure that I've been as clear and polite as possible.
I try to use plenty of emoticons, so people don't take what I write the wrong way either :D.
(I tend to be confusing to some folks, so the little smiles really help bring my message across better ;) )

Sorry you had a negative experience :hug:

I watched my fiance Victoria become upset about how the members at Guinea Pig Lynx was treating her, to me they acted like some fundamentalist animal liberation group not wanting to listen but to be listened to. As a professional writer I explained there is a way to write a response that will not only get the message across, but will give no amunition to reply, polite but straight to the point about their attitude, I did just that and it worked. As Victoria had mentioned we no longer go to that site.
When I found Rabbits Online so Victoria can learn more about our now dearly departed bunnies, it was a move neither of us regret.
With Red, he used to lick me every time I came to him, as if to say I love you for saving my life, he gave me a lick only hours before he died in front of my fiance and I, as if to say goodbye.

My nickname for Red used to be psycho bunny, picking him up when he was younger was a very painful experience, he was very independent.

:( There are some very opinionated forums out there, I'm lucky I've found friendly rabbit/guinea pig/rat forums. Victoria,Wheekers is a very friendly forum, even if people don't agree with other people, they never attack, just state the forums rules and leave it. I've learnt a lot from it.:biggrin: It isn't a medical forum like Lynx, but they know a lot about care and behaviour, and manners!

I am going to try Wheekers out thanks. I may be will go to Lynx and even post there when things cool down. I am just going to be more aware in the future that not all sites have a positive attitude overall like RO does from my experience. I dont mind if people point out my mistakes it just how they did it that was upsetting. so thank you allfor the replies - it explainedwhat can happen to othersand that I was not "the only one". I did not have much experience with forums until I got my animals 3 years ago and first forum site I went to was RO in 2009- it was recommended by a colleague of my fiance Robert on an IT site ! :) - that was IT support site but they know re RO there too. That was my fiance posting above :) I think he got a bit protective of me. All of this just about guinea pigs - I thought people fight about religion or politics but guinea pig care is not something I expected to have an experience like that with.

Hi another update on the above - I just tried to sign into my account with the Guinea Lynx several times using my usual password and my usual user name - all the times I tried were unsuccessful. I have gone to their introductory email and typed in word for word what they sent me (just to make sure) - it still said that I am using either wrong or deactivated account password etc. It just proves what was said about them above - it is either their way or highway. I have not been in there for no more than about two weeks. In the past I have not signed in for about I would say 3 or more weeks and still could get in. Anyway it is not a loss because I am sure I can find better informed places or get the information I need myself without the internet.

PS after like 10 min break and about my 10th attempt it did log in so it could have been just a site mulfunction rather than human made!

Back