An interesting article about Facebook accounts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's why my brother is alwaysasking me how to un-tag pictures of himon face book, his boss likes to look on there.;):biggrin2:

Honestly I don't see why people would want to put so much information about themselves on a site that every person in the world can see:shock: (which is why I won't make an account!)

yeah Ive definitely heard of this. I dont understand why people would want such a negative view of themselves to be broadcast to the entire world.

I have a facebook page, but its very clean. It will be even more pc once I start applying for teaching jobs next year.

A very good thing for employers to do to get a feel for the real person they are wanting to hire rather than the impression the person puts on when they apply for the job.

I feel like the only person I know of, besides my hubby,that doesnt facebook or myspace. From all the stuff I hear about I'm glad I dont. No offense to anyone that does. I just missed that generation that does everything online.

I don't have a myspace, well, actually I do, but I've never added anything, I only registered so that I could look at other peoples. I would never have a filled out myspace because anyone can see it and everybody friends everybody.

I do have a facebook. Why? Because I like the privacy features it has to offer. I only friend people I've actually met. That's why I'm not part of the RO group that I know exists on Facebook, sorry, but as well as we seemingly know eachother, you guys are still strangers and I wouldn't friend any of you.

I find it is a great way to keep in touch with people like those I met in NY this summer that I may never see again, but that I still consider my friends.

That said, my Facebook is entirely clean. Why? Because I am what some may consider a boring 17 year old. I don't drink or smoke, anything. The strongest drug I've used is my vicodan I was on with my Wisdom teeth out. I'm a rather conservative dresser. Basically, there is nothing I do that you could take pictures of that would come back to haunt me. Yeah, there are pictures of me being weird, but those are me with my temporary beetle tattoo on my face or me jumping up in the air, nothing I'd fear having a boss see.

I'm not so sure that I think it's a boss's right to look at a facebook, but I don't think it's the right of these young adults to do what they're doing that comes back to haunt you.

Moral is, don't do anything you wouldn't want your grandparents, priest, boss, principal, etc knowing about and definately don't photograph it for the world to see.

i am a facebook user, and i have a myspace. i think on both you can set your privacy settings so that only friends can view you, so i don't understand how an employer can see these?

as for pictures and employers looking at your site, sometimes its kind of unfair, what i do professionally and what i do in MY free time is completely different. Yes I drink, but I am of age, and its usually only on weekends, I don't see how that should be used against me when my profession and drinking are not related at all. I take A LOT of goofy pictures, thats me, so its almost unfair that an employer would see my "goofy" side and use that negatively against me. when i'm w/ my friends i act in ways i would never dream of in the work place.

i work w/ kids in a speech pathology clinic almost everyday. i give intervention to the kidsand interact w/ the family and professionals all the time. i know how to be professional and what i do in my spare time i guess i just think shouldn't be compared.

on the whole i understand this somewhat and i see how employers wouldn't want some "wild crazy drunk" in their workplace,but on the other-side i just don't see how your private life should be compared to how you perform professionally. YES i know it is something for the "world" to see, but not if you use the privacy settings, which i do because it is my private life for my friends only to see.

just my two cents :)

amberelizabeth wrote:
... i just don't see how your private life should be compared to how you perform professionally.
i agree. i actually got fired for a picture i have on my myspace. it's not even a picture that you can look at and say "oh look, that's sabrina's hand!"

i refuse to privatize my myspace, for reasons that most likely stem from my extreme stubbornness. i did, however, take my last name off my profile completely. people can only search for me by using my email, or my middle name if they know it!
i've used myspace to find a lot of old friends, some i hadn't seen since childhood!

i'm not outlandishly wild. i have a life, and i don't think i should be judged for it. i work in a bar, and still don't go around sharing all the things i do with customers, because it would be innapropriate to talk about some things at work! my life is mine, and i have a hard time with people who see what i look like, or who i hang out with, and say that because of that i'm a certain kind of person.

i haven't even read the article, but i've actually experienced, firsthand, how these sites have changed the way society works. i learned my lesson. i'm careful. but at the same time, if somebody wants to snoop into my life that badly, i really don't have anything to hide!

-sabrina

Latest posts

Back