An Albino gaining coloration later in life?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozeldatkm

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have pictures at the moment, but my Albino flemish giant (who you can see on my rabbit registry page, but those are old pictures) who has been white her whole life has recently started coloring in a little. Her nose, ears, and a bit of her tail are turning gray, like her mother's fur. She's just about 8 months and this started happening no more than a month ago. Is this normal? How much more color can I expect her to gain?

Is your bunny full flemish or is there a possiblity of a mix?

I ask because white flemish are true albino rabbits. That is that they have white fur only and red eyes. A rabbit that is a pointed white can seem pure albino at first but either change with age or change with the weather (that is the points get darker as the weather gets colder). Flemish are not recognized in a pointed white variety or color. If your rabbit is getting points then it is not a Ruby Eyed White, REW, or albino rabbit. Most likely it is a pointed white rabbit. Heres a picture of a very light pointed white rabbit. The most common rabbit in this color are californians. They normally get their color around 4-6weeks but it can be a long process

svpalsocalungar%20220_778x518.jpg

I could ask the breeder, but I'm pretty sure she's full. I saw both her parents, they were definitely giants. One brown and one gray. And at 8 months old, my girl is huge. Probably about the size of a grown Corgi. Yes the ears and nose are similar to that picture, but she didn't start developing it until about 6-7 months of age, and it's nowhere near as filled out as in that picture. I will try to get pictures of my own when I get home.

Alright, so I put together some pictures to show what I mean. This is Stella at about 4-6 weeks old. Notice she is entirely white.
stella2.jpg

And this is her no more than two months ago.
img-20131008-100922-0.jpg

The following images were taken today, clearly showing coloration on her fur just now developing at around 7-8 months old.
hni-0083.jpg

hni-0086.jpg

hni-0087.jpg

So I see what people were talking about, her possibly being a Californian mix, but development-wise that just doesn't make much sense. She still has red albino eyes and both her parents were dark-colored flems. Also her paws have no color at all. So what could be going on here?

So, does anyone have ideas? I could try to get better pictures if need be... I just don't have a very good camera anywhere and the lighting is scarce and dim in most of my house.

Latest posts

Back