Amy has E.cuniculi !!!! Headtilt!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummel

Reaction score
My baby bunny Amy has a headtilt. just discovered it a couple of hours ago. The Dr. said shes bad and wanted to euthanize her.

I didnt agree because she has no problems eating and walking yet.

She got a couple of shots but no Antibiotics so far. I will go back tommorrow at 10 maybe I get medication then.

First I was thinking its just an ear infection since one ear suddenly started sticking up..

Im so scared she might die. Shes the sweetest little bunny I know.:(

Does anyone know more about that sickness and how good the chances are for healing?

Amy2-1.jpg
Amy1.jpg

Youmayhavecaughtit early enough. From the pictures, it seems her head isn't tilted atall, so it might be in it's early stages? I'm not experienced with headtilt or e.cuniculi so someone else can probably help you with this. Ifshe's eating and drinking and moving around fine, I think there wouldbe no reason to put her down. If she's eating, she probably isn't intoo much pain! Is it possiblt to get a second opinion from a differentvet? Head tilt and e. cuniculi can be treated and rabbits do pullthrough, so hopefully she can recover from this.

Sweet Amy, good thoughts being sent your way!

:pray:

Also, have you read the rabbit health reference about head tile and e. cuniculi?

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11840&forum_id=10

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14471&forum_id=10

I hope she gets better soon :(.

Spring wrote:
Youmayhavecaught it earlyenough. From the pictures, it seems her head isn't tilted at all
Thank you for the links but her head is fine on the pics. That was just to show how she developed a sticking up ear..

Her head looks upside down..if i wouldnt know better i would think her neck is broken.

I have talked to dr.s appearently shes a little better than yesterday.I also got some advice from bunny owners here that had a bun with thatsickness.

A lot had sucess with a medication that helps against worm attack, additional to the antibiotics.

I have been to the Dr. twice she got shots every morning. Tommorow iwill get an oral medicine named chloromycetin , tetracyclin is notsuited for babys the Dr. said.

If you haven't gone through the links in theResource Center yet, here's a RO member thread with a lot of info, goodnews and bad.

One of the bunnies in that thread, Gabby's Brice, recently became'untilted' after years with head tilt. :upsidedownThere's a recentthread on Brice kicking around.

(Ivomec is probably the anti-parasite meds people were talking about).

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=4651&forum_id=1

Let us know how she's doing. Poor baby!

sas et al

What are the shots she's been getting?I looked up Chloromycetin and it's an antibiotic, so then you have earinfections covered (which can also cause head tilt). E.cuniculi is usually treated with Fenbendazole, Albendozole, orOxibendazole.

I hope she'll be okay. Baby rabbits get sick quickly, butsometimes they bounce back quickly too. I'd try to get her toa second vet too, because a vet that looks at a head tilt bun and sayseuthanize wouldn't make me feel confident that he was trying hishardest.

Keep us updated!

She got the Antibiotic and Vit.B and something for her strength.

Im sure a couple of medicaments are different here..

She is better already..even tried to jump out of the box....her head isbetter too even though its just a tiny little bit. Shes eating well..

I was surprised about the Dr. asking to euthanize hertoo...:shock:I mean shes still eating, drinking ,walking onher own..hello??

I will be going to another Dr. tomorrow for a 2nd opinion.

Oh hun, I am so sorry to hear this.

Ive been wondering where you've been lately. You've been very busytaking care of your baby, Im sure (plus taking care of all the others).

Thats too bad about the vet. Im glad you will be going to someone else.Is this the vet that said they neutered your boy who turned out to be agirl (or visa versa, cant remember :))? :disgust:

Poor little Amy. Please give her a kiss on that fluffy little nose.

Im keeping her (and you) in my prayers. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

Lots of Love

Haley and the boys

Oh hun, I am so sorry to hear this.

Ive been wondering where you've been lately. You've been very busytaking care of your baby, Im sure (plus taking care of all the others).

Thats too bad about the vet. Im glad you will be going to someone else.Is this the vet that said they neutered your boy who turned out to be agirl (or visa versa, cant remember :))? :disgust:

Poor little Amy. Please give her a kiss on that fluffy little nose.

Im keeping her (and you) in my prayers. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

Lots of Love

Haley and the boys

Oh actually Im just sick :(For almost 2 months now..

But I do have a bunch of sick pets too..2 rats with cancer and a baby bun with a headtilt.

Amy is pretty tough though. Even though she was bad she kept eatingwell when I fed her and after the 1st shot it already got better. Aftergetting shots the past three days her head is almost ok. And Im gladshe didnt get diarrhea. I have AB for oral treatment now.

Shes already jumping around on the couch again..:shock:I just really hope it does not get worse again..

My last rabbit died from this , well actuallythe vet euthanize her the 3rd day she had the head tilt. He couldn'teven stand up. It was HORRIBLE to see him suffer and also to let himgo.

I wish you the best for you and your rabbit! Do what's best for her after considering all your possible alternatives.

Amy has gotten AB for a while now. We have to pause with the AB because she has diarrhea (?spelling)

Shes better than the first day but recently nothing changed..we justhave to wait how shes doing. If it stays like that Im sure she would beable to live with the handicap.

One of my buns has had 2 bouts and now fewmonths later he is well... a pain. :?He is making up for lossof playtime. When he came down I had to feed him clean him, more orless everything. Soo...yea it is something you can fight and have hope.Catching it quik is the best thing.

See him now. Most of these pics are from the last 2months.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/JzJade/Ringo/

Hey there just been reading through thispost. Sorry to hear your bun has been poorly with a headtilt. My bun Sammy too has a headtilt, she got itabout 3 months ago, due to an ear infection. when i took herto the vets they too said she had 50/50 chance of survival she had tospenmd a week in the vets as she could walk and was noteating/drinking.I was in bits i had only had her for a fewmonths. Anyway she had her first lot of medication and shegot better but as soon as the medi stopped she relasped. shehas since been on the medication since and even though she is perfectlyfine apart from a head tilt. She has got to stop the medi ina week so she can be spayed but that is worrying me in case she is notstrong enough to go under.

Anyway even if Amy still has a head tilt there is nothing stopping herhaving a happy life with someone who can give her lots of love time andcare. Hope everytthing goes ok for you both x

Back