Ammonia in the Rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyemondRabbitry

Reaction score
Alright, so we just added on to our horse barn for the rabbitry. It's very well insulated, has great ventilation for the summer and we're putting the heat in now. My problem is the ammonia! I don't want to get respiratory illnesses going but I need the heat for my babies.. so... do air purifiers take out enough of the ammonia??

Has anybody had luck with another way of controlling the ammonia? It's a tray system.. so cleaning is constant but I need a way to help with this.

Any ideas????

We continue to ventilate well when the temp is over 40 degrees F.

Colder air doesn't hold as much ammonia, so full air exchange is less critical over the winter. We clean the cages every 3 days and keep the window cracked for a little air exchange, but have to keep the building above freezing due to the watering system.

The investment of a high quality air purifier that would be adequate for ag application is very high - it's much cheaper to just keep the cages clean.

If you see condensation on the windows of the rabbitry, you'll know that the air is holding too much moisture and that you need to ventilate. You shouldn't have a problem in the winter as long as you are not keeping the rabbitry too warm.

Pam

I was looking to keep it around 45 degrees for the watering system and for my does, I suppose I could use nest box warmers in a worst case scenario- I've just always been worried about putting something electric into their cages. So you don't think the ammonia is too much unless we start seeing the condensation? What effect would a dehumidifier have on that?

Cold air is a natural dehumidifier because cold air doesn't hold much moisture. A dehumidifier would help if condensation is forming on the windows.

Pam

Latest posts

Back