American Sable? California Cross? Who knows?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy-Hazel

Reaction score
So a couple months back I adopted Fiver from the humane society. The people at the shelter guessed he's an American Sable, but some of the folks on the RU forums though he might be a California Cross. I have no idea, and it doesn't matter to me either way, but I'm curious!

Here's my little man!
DSCF1875.jpg

DSCF1878.jpg

Here's a vid for good measure! He doesn't have red eyes in person, I think that's just the flash.

Its definately a sable point. as far as breed, its hard to tell. You can cross out lops and any kind of breed that doesnt come in the sable point variety

Almost looks like a sable point satin. can't be 100% sure without looking at a pedigree. American sables are a lot darker colored. though he could also be a dilute too.

Love watership down. :)

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
Almost looks like a sable point satin. can't be 100% sure without looking at a pedigree. American sables are a lot darker colored. though he could also be a dilute too.

Love watership down. :)
I learned something new today. American sables have sports.. And perhaps one other thing, though I forgot what. Like using sports for english spots and stuffs...

X3

edit:

well. sorta sports. guess they're not completely that? idk the terms. LOL!

Definetley not an American Sable, I used to breed them and I've never heard of them having dilutes Shaded Night Rabbitry? Well you learn something new everyday!
Definetley a Sable Point though, unless your talking Satin, then Siamese.
I'm not sure on the breed cross but he is adorable!
And same here Nancy McCellend!

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:

I learned something new today. American sables have sports.. And perhaps one other thing, though I forgot what.
Cals, REW, and Seal are common unshowable varieties when breeding American Sables. I haven't heard of sable points (saimese) popping up (unless someone breeds in Siamese Satins).

I know this is super late, but I just wanted to say that I have two American Sable and Californian mixes. They are from the same litter. Their mother is an American Sable and the father was a Californian. One looks like an American Sable, and the other looks a lot like your rabbit.
Here they both are. Their eyes are actually brown.
Rabbits-375259194

And here she is. She looks similar to your rabbit with the white body and darker nose, ears and tail. Body types are similar too.
Nala-375259692

My rabbits are just over a year old and are about 6 lbs. Hope this was helpful!

Latest posts

Back