american fuzzy lop kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I was confused because I thought at was still dominate to a. So an agouti (A-at) crossed with a black (a-a) could not produce another a-a, which is the only way you're get another self color, right? You could only produce A-at and at-a which would be agouti and otter, respectively.

ETA: I should add, from the picks, it clearly looks like there is at least one otter and one self-blue ... which makes me very confused! I hope a genetics expert can come in and explain.

thanks all for the comments. I am very green with genetics but have been reading a ton but it is hard to absorb it all. I was really never great in school;)

they are 2 weeks today and everyone is great. Eyes are open now. The whites have red eyes which I thought they would. I think that broken blue is looking a little otter-like;( compared to the broken black. Then the other one looks blue and the last one must be an otter is it black or blue?

thinking broken blue otter around the nose looks cream and around the eyes but hard to tell in this pic

IMG_0523.jpg

here's the other otter is it blue or black??

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

last but not least the REWs

IMG_0560.jpg

Is it possible that the one who looks like an otter is actually an opal or some other agouti color? That could explain the genetics. I have zero experience at looking at kits and telling color though, so I could be totally off.

it looks like a chinchilla colored baby to me. . . i don't see any fawn color on the back of the neck like you would with an opal. . . and it just doesn't have the blueish glow an opal would

katt wrote:
it looks like a chinchilla colored baby to me. . . i don't see any fawn color on the back of the neck like you would with an opal. . . and it just doesn't have the blueish glow an opal would
Chinchilla is still an agouti color, correct? That was basically what I was getting at, though I didn't know exactly what color to call it. I'm just wondering if it's actually an agouti rather than an otter, which would explain the genetics.

yes, you are right.

we can toss out the option of an otter simply because the ticking is appearing all over the body.

and a chin would be more likely then an otter out of this pairing

I didn't even think of that, both parents have otter in their background so I just thought it was going to be otter which I don't want. Maybe it is opal or chin?? I was trying to see if it has a triangle on the nape of the neck but I can't tell yet. Boy they really change in appearance almost everyday

sheandg wrote:
so I still probably have just a broken blue vs broken blue otter?? That would be great news
That's what I was thinking. That or a broken opal, but he doesn't look like he has any ticking.

yup, i would put my money on a broken blue.

if it was an opal, you would see fawn color with the white on the nose markings

ok, here is a good website

http://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/holland-colors.shtml

if you scroll about 1/2 down the page you should see examples of a solid opal baby. . . you will get the idea of what opal looks like on a baby holland (it would look just about the same on a baby fuzzy lop

they are 3 weeks tomorrow and growing well and getting so fuzzy. Mom is such a great momma too. They have ventured out of their nestbox and have been testing out mom's pellets. I have a show the end of jan and they will be 9 weeks so I hope to get an opinion on them as to who I should keep. Still not positive about the genders yet their parts are so tiny and look all alike right now. I think in a few weeks it will be easier. I am good at sexing but never have seen their parts so tiny. I have wrote down my guesses at this age and will see how accurate i was.

the chin

IMG_0663.jpg

one of the REW

15455_1326862656594_1381741796_3093.jpg

the other REW

15455_1326864216633_1381741796_3093.jpg

the broken black

15455_1326862056579_1381741796_3093.jpg

the blue

15455_1326864656644_1381741796_3093.jpg

the broken blue

15455_1326864936651_1381741796_3093.jpg

OMG there coming along gorgeous, I have always wanted an American fuzzy lop too bad no one thought to bring them over to Ireland Grr! I want to steal them all from you!

Latest posts

Back