Amber ate candle wax

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
Needless to say I'm very concerned because Amber ate some candle wax. Late last night I accidentally knocked over the stand that holds the candle. It fell onto the ground, or so I thought, and I ended up forgetting about putting it back upright. Well this morning I discovered it fell against Amber's cage, so a portion of the edge was sticking through the bars. She nibbled it down pretty good. I did see some small pieces on the ground outside her cage, but not enough. I believe she ate a good portion of it, the candle is scented.

DSCF0003-2.jpg

Unfortunately, the candle doesn't say it's brand so I was unable to look it up and see what it's made out of. All I know is that it's scented. GI upset is a huge concern right now. Amber currently is alert and acting normal, but I did notice some very small poo's in her cozy bed.

Is there anything I should be giving her?

Does anyone know what ingesting scented candle wax may do to a Rabbit?

:panic:

I don't think that you have to worry about poisoning. Candles these days don't typically contain anything that would be toxic in the amount she ate.

I would worry a bit about her GI tract. I would reduce pellets (by half) and push hay. Putting out new hay and different types often helps to stimulate interest in the hay. I'd give her the normal amount of greens, but soak them in water for half an hour prior. Leave out a bowl of pedialyte, and give her a dose of probiotic. Keep checking for poos.

It doesn't look like a TON of wax was ingested, so it will probably just pass on through. At a rabbit's body temperature, the wax may actually be melted.

Thank you so much for the info and advice Claire!
I just offered some wet veggies and she ate them without hesitation, so that makes me hopeful.

Latest posts

Back