Am I seeing a miracle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heth

Reaction score
So, Thumper is around 13 weeks possibly. I put alitter box in her cage after I got her and recently when I have lookedin there, she hasn't pooped or peed outside of the litterbox. I haven'thad to yell at her or make her see the light, I think she did it byherself. Is she really getting it or will she soon change when she getsa little older? She discovered digging last night for the first timeand decided to dig into the couch, gr. Just wanted to know if it'snormal for her to train herself at such a young age of it's just afluke?

Thanks

Heather :D

I'm not sure because I'm still new at thistoo. But it didn't seem to take much for my rabbits to belitter trained. But I did notice that they don't like it whenthe litter box is too messy. Sometimes I have to change ittwice a day. My rabbits are only 8 weeks old and they seem todo it on their own. I am wonder when they hit the teenagemonths if this will change. We'll see.

Charlie

I just rescued a rabbit a few weeks ago from agirl that kept him in a closet inside of a dog crage with cedarshavings! I took him home with me, put a litter box in hiscage and he has used it from day one! He was only about 4months old, poor thing wanted to be a clean bunny... he just neededsomeone to give him a box :D I think some rabbits just "getit" sooner. You might still have some problems whenshe reaches her "teenager" phase.

Jamie

Hi Heather !!!

I think some buns 'get it' more quickly than others.

You may find that you have a few problems when they get into their teens, but its not that bad.

3 of my 4 buns use the litter tray, the other sleeps in hers.

Yes mine are only ten weeks old i put a litterbox in the cage about a week ago and the past few days they have beenusing it.Thay still wee in the cage as well at the moment but not asmuch:)

In nature our domesticated rabbit would use one chamber of their burrow to pee and poop in because they are fastidious creatures. They like to go in one spot. Our own wild cottontail rabbits tend to poop in mounds or communal toilets for the same reason.

They like to back into a corner or the "wall" of the chamber when they do this, so corner litter boxes often work very well. I've read that they will avoid a litter box that has too much refuse in it poop and pee nearby. Keep it relatively fresh and they should keep it in the litter box.

Rabbits are not particularly good at controlling their sphincter muscles, especially younger ones, who are, therefore, more apt to miss the box than older ones. Because rabbits use their poops tomark terrritory, register fear, excitement, interest, contentment, etc. they are usually strewn all around and mark yourself extremely fortunate to have a bun that deposits most of them the litterbox. Most of us are pleased to have urine confined to the box without mishap.

By and large most bunsdo "train themselves" and are on a fast track to litter box use. Every now and again one runs intoa youngster who doesn't quite get it.

Buck

Well, I went to the vet today to pick up foodand hay.. They said that they could spay her in a couple of weeks but Imight want to wait a little longer for my own security. I just hope shekeeps up the good work. It's such a breeze cleaning a litter boxeveryday than cleaning a whole cage everyday! :D

Well, I plan on having her spayed soon. I justwant tomake she is ready! Probably 5 weeks or 6 if I canafford it. They want $375 for the spay, which I am more than willing topay since theres only 2 bunny savvy vets in my area. I just hope shedoesn't have little marbles down there! Then I'll really be in for ashock, heh.

Yeah, it's the same vet that we've used for thepast 4 years for our other animals. I think it's ridiculous but if Ihave to pay it than I will. And yes, I live in the US. Boringol' FL to be exact!

I was looking to switch to a rabbitsavvy vet and found a good one. I asked how much to spay the Girls andthey said $360. I thought oh wow great. Until she said apiece:shock::shock:. After I got done choking I called around somemore. I found an awesome vet that is only charging me $120 apiece.

I would have paid the $360 each but thank goodness I don't haveto...ouch that would hurt the wallet considering I have 4 girls to getdone.

I wish you didn't have to pay that much.

Tina

Me too!! Thank goodness mom doesn't make me pay rent :cool:

bunnee mom wrote:
Heather,

Ellie was born in July and we got her spayed in January.Our vet told us not to wait much past 6 months because in females their organs get larger as they get older and the surgery is more difficult than for a male....not sure what anyone else's opinion or experience is with that....just relaying my vet's recommendation.

Lynn
Reading an animal behaviorist book that suggests if one waits too long, undesirable traits and characteristics may become "more hardwired" and less susceptible to reduction afterwards.She said to neuter early on when puberty behaviors just begin.

Make sense to me.

Buck

Back