Am I Giving My Buns The Best Room?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
I'd like opinions on whether or not I'm giving my buns the best living space, and also on how to improve it. Pictures will follow, as I'm on my computer at work right now...but for now I'll give a brief description.

They live in our second bedroom. The room is 15 x 10 feet. At one end is Molly's cage, which is made out of X-Pen panals and takes up 4 x 8 feet. She's ten pounds now, and the vet thinks she'll get to be about 16 lbs. Next to her is baby Gus, who's cage is also made up of panels and is 3 x 3 feet. He's about two pounds and can easily binky in this smaller space.Molly goes for her spay on May 25 and I hope to begin bondingabout a monthafter.

Unfortunately, I collect more than just bunnies, and my other collections are stored in boxes that I have stacked in their room. They take up a bit of floor space for now, but soon I hope to install shelves around the room to display them. I've also put a futon in the room so I can spend more time in there with them without laying on the floor. The space left over in the room minus cages, futon and boxes measures at about 5 x 11 feet, which is their "play area".

So, to sum it up, Molly has a 4 x 8 foot pen, Gus has a 3 x 3 foot pen, and they share a 5 x 11 foot play area (not at the same time, of course...Molly wouldEAT Gus, ha ha). On weekdays, I let them out about 1 - 2 hours a day each (they need to be monitered the whole time so they don't get into anything, so this is the most time I can spare), and on weekends for most of the day. Molly also gets time in the backyard on her harness on weekends if it's not too hot or raining.

Now, my plans for the future!

Once they're bonded, I'm going to build a new pen for them to share, 3 x 10 feet, with a platform to add a little more space. I'll put up the shelves around the room and get all the storage boxes off the floor. This will leave 12 x 10 feet, minus the space taken up by the futon. As well, because there won't be anything they can get into, I plan to have them out for most of the day, about 12 hours, because they won't need to be monitered out of their cage anymore. And of course, they have tunnels, boxes and chewing outlets.

Any comments/suggestions? I want them to have a great life with lots of play and stimulation, and any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey I'm just across the river from you - I'm from Gatineau... I think your new set up sounds great and will give them lots of room to move around. Not sure if it's just mine but I think if their cage is too big they have less tendancy to want to come out to play since they have plenty of room inside

Sounds good. You didn't includle the futon in your space calculations? My rabbit loves to climb and would probably spend his entire time all over that ;). And under it too!

kirst3buns wrote:
Sounds good. You didn't includle the futon in your space calculations? My rabbit loves to climb and would probably spend his entire time all over that ;). And under it too!
It's so true! Molly LOVES the futon, but I don't let her under it, in case she decides that's a great place for a second litter box! Gus can jump DOWN from the futon, but hasn't quite figured out how to get up... Maybe once he grows a bit more .:biggrin2:

@Tweetiepy: Hey, that's cool. Sometimes it feels like fellow bunny lovers are so far away! Good to know there are some around us!

@Nancy McClelland: SO TRUE. Luckily she hasn't peed on it, but she seems miffed about sharing it with me! And she digs at it too...luckily I bought it second hand for $20.

Latest posts

Back