Am I doing it right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diannemc1957

Reaction score
As many may have read my post..I found a hurt black and white bunny a week ago her leg looked to be broken cause it hung out to the side and she couldn't hop on it at all..I couldn't stand to leave her out on side of the road in the heat hurt and not able to move..I moved her to some bushes but still after thinking about her laying out there hurt I went back and got her....I debated on having her put to sleep. but just couldn't.. At no time did she act like she was in a lot of pain and a week later is doing good.. She is pulling the leg back under her and hopping on it...she is more active and eating good..
I just need to know it I am feeding right... I keep pellets and Timothy hay out all the time. Twice a day I give her Romaine, kale , collard, and parsley mix ..I give her carrots but not every day..she has plenty of water...I change out the cage about every other day..she is so messy!! I saw the other day where there is a salt wheel? do they need one? Is there anything else they need???

It sounds like you are doing a good job with the diet.
I would limit the pellets. The general rule is about 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight, but it can vary depending on the rabbit. If she is young (under about 6-8 months), then you can give more pellets and an alfalfa pellet can be a good idea.
The hay is good. You can give other types of hay like orchard grass or brome hay if you would like. Again, is she is young give some alfalfa hay too.
The veggies looks good too. You can give more leafy green ones, but remember to introduce them slowly.
Salt and mineral wheels are not needed. A good pellet will provide the minerals and vitamins needed. Some rabbits will use a salt or mineral wheel a lot which can lead to imbalances which could be dangerous.

If you can, try litter training. This will help keep the cage cleaner which means you don't have to clean the whole thing as often and it cuts down on the costs of litter as well.

For litter training, cat litter boxes. they should have them at the dollar store, and you should be able to get kiln dried pine pellets from your local feed store, it's often used as horse bedding, and super cheap and works great.

Latest posts

Back