Alternatives to Incisor Extraction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acholke

Reaction score
I have 2 holland lops, one is 2 years old and has never had teeth issues. The other is almost 7 months old and has incisor malocclusion. They both eat the same diet so we are thinking that it is a genetic issue. We have been to 2 different vets, the first said that the only option was extraction and was very pushy about it so I decided to get a 2nd opinion. The 2nd vet made me feel more comfortable and suggested trying trimmings first to see if that could get his teeth more under control to where he could chew with them and possibly help the issue. His bottom teeth do sit in front of his top teeth so it is likely that they will never be "fixed" but somewhat regular trimmings sound a lot better than an automatic extraction. He had his first trimming about 3 weeks ago and I am taking him in again for a follow-up tomorrow. He did say that extraction may be needed if the trimmings become too frequently needed or he develops any molar issues. I did TONS of online research and remember stumbling upon a vet's article about shaving down the back molars to allow the jaw to have proper alignment and ultimately fix the incisor malocclusion. Of course now, I cannot find that article anywhere. I really would prefer to avoid extraction and if another surgery can be performed to "fix" his incisors, that would AMAZING! He's not even a year old yet! Has anyone else heard of this newer technique of training the teeth or had it done to their bun?

I also contacted the breeder and she said that she would exchange our malocclusion bun for another but she would try trimming his teeth but ultimately most likely put him down. And I can't live with that thought. She said that she would never recommend spending the money for the extraction and the trauma that it would cause, just to have the bunny be able to live. She thinks that they quality of life would not be the same, or worth it.

I have read tons of testimonials from people who had the extractions done and their bunnies seem to have a happy quality of life, but I would really prefer to hear about alternative treatments.

Honestly, the molar trims article you read was NOT true. Incisor malocclusions are most often genetic, and generally it's because the lower jaw is the wrong size (too long or too short). In many animals, too long is not a bad thing- think boxers. But in those animals whose teeth need to touch to keep them short, it is a life long problem.

I've seen many buns do very well without their incisors, and many who do well with regular trimmings. I've only seen one incisor extraction go poorly, and that was more of an owner compliance issue (owner went out of town and pet sitter couldn't bother to give him antibiotics- despite explicit instructions from the owner). On the flip side, I've known many rabbits who live VERY happy lives without those incisors- in fact, they are still as sassy, eat all the same foods (except carrots, but really, rabbits shouldn't eat many carrots). Regular trimmings are less traumatic per incidence, but can increase stress over time (in SOME, not all rabbits)- and I've also seen so many rabbits live so happily with regular incisor trims.

Latest posts

Back